Career change looking for direction on where to start

Hi all I am 40 years old and wanting to change my career from an RN. I have been a nurse for 17 years I am tapped out of healthcare. I am wanting to work towards working with low code (preferably OutSystems). Anyone have a path recommendations to get the foundation before starting to learn OutSystems? I have no experience with coding so I know I need some kind of foundation but I am at a loss of where to take the 1st step. My research says to start with HTML, CSS and JavaScript. Is that a smart place to start? Any tips and tricks are greatly appreciated.

4 Likes

Welcome to FCC forum!
I’ve done some quick research on Outsystems (looks cool!) and it seems like the classic HTML, CSS and Javascript would be the right way to go. That being said, it seems like they use their own language too called Outsystems, which is reportedly similar to C# (another programming language)., so maybe you could start that too.
I’m not an expert so take everything I say with a pound of salt but really, you won’t be making a mistake in starting HTML and CSS.
Wishing you smooth sailing on your coding journey!
Nicolas

3 Likes

Nicolas
Thank you so much for responding! I greatly appreciate all the input. I am planning on talking to my husband soon about wanting to change my career to becoming a developer but wanted to make sure I had a plan before talking to him. He is a manager in OutSystems which is a partial reason I choose OutSystems. I also choose it since it looks to be very efficient. I plan to talk to my husband about what he recommends but I would like to have already done some reach and asking around before I approach him.
Kimberly

3 Likes

Hello!

Having a connection into the company, especially in management, will open doors for you, for sure. Networking is crucial in tech.

I checked the OutSystems job boards and noticed they expect skills in backend development from their devs, more than the front-end skills that you mentioned.
The skills listed are SQL databases and API (application programming interface) integration, both backend developer fields.

Best talk to your husband to confirm what I saw. Then take a stab by simply playing around with building your first simple APIs with a database connection. There are enough resources online to give it try.

Best of luck on your new way!

3 Likes

Daniel

Thank you so much for your insight I greatly appreciate you giving some ideas on direction. I am planning on look into those today and talking to my husband this weekend. We all have been extremely sick and I haven’t be able to look up much the last week or so. I love the recommendation on networking since I have seen that so much with nursing as well!

Kimberly

2 Likes

Transitioning to low code sounds like an exciting shift! Starting with HTML, CSS, and JavaScript is definitely a smart move to build a solid foundation. These languages will give you a good grasp of the basics and ease you into the world of coding. As for tips, don’t hesitate to dive into online resources and tutorials. There are tons out there catered specifically to beginners. And remember, practice makes progress!

1 Like

You might also want to build a nursing-related coding project, too. And do a web search for “OutSystems, nursing” or “OutSystems, hospital” etc, to see other places you might have as backup employers

1 Like

Starting with HTML, CSS, and JavaScript sounds like a solid plan. They’re the building blocks for many web development paths, including low code platforms like OutSystems. Since you’re new to coding, taking some online courses or finding tutorials can be super helpful. There are tons of resources out there, both free and paid, that cater to beginners.

1 Like