Challenges for Self-Taught Developers in the Job Market: Competing with Degrees and Bootcamps

What are your thoughts on the perception of self-taught developers by employers, especially in comparison to those with CS degrees or bootcamp training? Is pursuing a master’s in Computer Science a viable option to enhance job prospects and overcome potential biases? Please share your insights and experiences below.

Some employers will be averse to it because they believe self taught might be more risky.
While other employers will be more open to it.

At the end of the day, hiring is expensive.
Companies don’t want to waste money hiring the wrong person.

For some companies, they feel safer hiring CS grads because they spent 4 years studying a set curriculum and probably had some sort of internship or two.

Other companies have owners and leadership team members who are self taught so they are more open to hiring bootcamp grads and self taught developers.

As a self taught developer, you have to work really hard to derisk yourself as much as possible.
That includes having strong projects to show, strong activity on github. maybe some open source contributions, good linkedin profile, etc.
Any way you can stand out from the crowd and present yourself in a better light will help you overcome the initial doubt of wanting to interview you.

It might help.
I think having the bachelors in CS would work just fine. It would be even better to have some sort of internship experience while doing your bachelors

3 Likes

I’ve completed my undergraduate studies with a major in Art, and I’m currently working on building a strong foundation as a front-end developer. As I contemplate the upcoming job market and my career trajectory, I’ve been considering different routes to enhance my credentials. While I’m in the process of preparing a portfolio website and a comprehensive fullstack React app, I’ve also been pondering the idea of pursuing a master’s degree in Computer Science. Although the prospect of taking on additional student loans isn’t particularly exciting, I’m recognizing the potential benefits of such a move. Obtaining a 1 to 2-year master’s in CS could potentially result in employers viewing me with more credibility and lower risk, while also increasing my earning potential. I’m at a point of evaluating the pros and cons of both options and would greatly appreciate any insights or advice from the community.

I second this

I second this. I work as a software developer and my highest degree is a bachelors in software development. You could go for a masters, but thats more time and more money its going to cost. If you are not in dire need of a job, and have the funds then by all means go for a masters if you feel like that is the best move. A masters degree would probably give you more opportunity and better pay, but at the end of the day its more important to be able to do what you say you can do on a resume.

You’re absolutely right, and that’s why I’m exploring the option of pursuing a master’s in Computer Science. Given that many master’s programs don’t require a bachelor’s in CS, it seems like a more efficient path for me to enhance my skills and transition into the tech industry. This approach avoids the need to go back for a second bachelor’s degree, especially since I already hold a BA in Art. It’s about optimizing my career trajectory while leveraging the skills I’ve built so far as a self taught front-end dev

From what I’ve researched, a full time student can get their masters in CS in 1 to 2 years, which is basically the same amount of time it would take me to get a BS in Computer Science seeing that if I went back to undergrad I could skip general education.

In that case a masters does sound appealing. Of course it depends on your loans would look like, and then you have to try and factor in the time to land the job to start paying things off. Any program that offers internships would be the best choice. My last class before graduation actually required us to complete internships in order to graduate, and the school offered their own sources to make it happen. So if you could put a masters with an internship so you actually have experience together then you would be in a great position

I agree on everything you said, I am currently reaching out to graduate programs to learn more about what they offer. I would only want to go if they offered courses tailored towards front-end devlopement (specifically using Javascript + React) and if they have a good network with the tech industry that provides me with at least 1 or 2 internship opportunties. A combination of that, plus projects I will continue to work on and add to my portfolio website, after 1 to 2 years…on paper I think I would be taken a lot more seriously by employers.

I could stay on the path I am on and eventually shoot my shot with different companies, but realistically I realize it will take a lot of luck and I am not as competitive as an applicant on paper. (A BA in Art, certifcates no one cares about, and a few good projects isn’t screaming “We have to hire him!”)

Thanks for listening to me think outloud through a forum lol

Oh and I would only go somewhere that is around 10k a year so given that most programs are 1 to 2 years, I would be adding 10 to 20k to my already existing 15k in student loans that I owe. Plus that 15 will be collecting interest soon and I don’t have the money to start making payments. It’s a tough decision, I could be looking at 25 to 35k in student loans after I graduate with a MS in Computer Science. Not sure if that will be worth it or if continuing on the path I am currently on is the better option :man_shrugging:

That is going to be hard. Im not sure really if that would be feasible. If you can find something like that then I would go for it, but I would say you would be looking at 30k at least. Or, thats what it would be where I am.

Yes, you’re right, however, I live in California and CSUs and UC’s usually have tuition around 10k-12k. Considering I recieve some type of scholarship, I could see tuition cost being around 10k for me or perhaps a little less, of course this is excluding other cost like housing, food, and other expenses. But if I go to a CSU or UC close to where I live, I could just drive to school while still staying at my parents to avoid crazy on campus housing cost

1 Like

Sounds like you have a thorough list of what you need check, and make sure of before you decide which is great. Hopefully, this works out for you. I have around 45k in student debt so when the payback freeze ends next month it should be interesting to see what they are going to try and make me pay

1 Like

This might be unreasonable. Lots of CS curriculums are not “updated enough” to be able to teach modern web development. There’s too much overhead to “keep up” with latest trends, as each year the curriculum would have to change with the trends of the market.

CS courses usually aim for core principles that will always apply and generically be useful. There is also the issue of teachers being experienced enough to teach a topic that is “new”.

Internships also don’t usually just “drop” in your lap, you will probably have to work for 1, or find a program to help you get one. Even then you may have to fight for the opportunity with your peers.

The nice thing about being back in college is you gain access to a lot of other secondary resources you should leverage. Stuff like clubs, job fairs, access to faculty, research opportunities and being among peers are all things you pay for and should leverage.

However, you also want to calculate how much all of this will cost relative to how much you expect to get paid, and the time you spend executing your plan.

If it takes 2 years and 20k+interest to get to a specific position to get a job, you have to ask yourself, how much would it take to get to the same position in 2 years of self-study (or even some bootcamps or alternate routes).

Having a masters for entry-level developer position should help you lessen the job search problem. But you probably wont be paid significantly more than if you get hired self-taught.

This also assumes you couldn’t find a job within the 2 years you could use as a stepping stone/career pivot. You suddenly go from 20k+interest impacting your income to having cash and stability.

Ultimately this is a problem you will have to solve, just keep as many of the factors in mind.

Good luck, keep learning, keep building :+1:

You’re absolutely right – I understand that internships won’t simply “drop” into my lap, there’s no worthwhile opportunity in life that just drops in your lap. I was contemplating how colleges can provide the support and resources that could make the process of securing internships more streamlined. Elements like clubs, job fairs, faculty connections, and access to research opportunities are indeed valuable benefits of being back in an academic environment. These resources can contribute to a more structured and guided approach to internships.

In terms of curriculum alignment, I also wanted to express my preference for programs that don’t solely focus on Python. Given my interest in front-end development, I’m particularly keen on exploring programs that offer courses tailored towards JavaScript. That’s why I brought up the idea of seeking out institutions that either have a primary focus on JavaScript or offer options for specialized courses aligned with my specific interests. I believe this alignment could play a crucial role in shaping my educational experience and future career prospects.

My consideration of programs like SFSU and SJSU stems from their affordability, with tuition costs around 8-9k per year, assuming no scholarships. The option to commute from home would further save on living expenses. However, I do share your concern about the financial aspect – investing an additional 16k over two years is a significant decision, especially if it doesn’t significantly impact my career trajectory.

Your advice to weigh these factors, considering potential job prospects and career growth, is well taken. I’m aligning my plans with the notion that a Master’s could potentially open doors and offer more stability in the job market. Nevertheless, I’m still grappling with the question of whether the investment will yield the desired returns.

Thank you again for your insights and guidance. I’m grateful for the input and perspective as I navigate this pivotal decision.

This topic was automatically closed 182 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.