CodeWars is cool!

Code Wars is cool !

I found codewars before i know free code camp. I thank i am ready to code . But I tried hard to register at this website :laughing: . One code challenge have to be solved before registering at this website.I pass it fortunately :laughing: . After trying to solve chellenges , i quit code wars . I need to learn more about coding.
When i enroll at free code camp , free code camp algorithm scripting tutorial teach how to code.And I knew that ā€œthe best way to learn coding is by codingā€. FCC algorithm scripting are hard , some challenge take 3 days to solve it (for me). I never quit . After completing chellange , i feel it take me to new level.
After complete front -end program,i enroll data visulization program. In data visulization-program i need to learn two new things (react js and sass). I complete learning sass (for me).Now I am struggling with react. It take much time.When Iā€™m boring at learning react js.I open codewar again. I found new interesting things. . https://github.com/myjinxin2015/Katas-list-of-Training-JS-series
It is cool!
[Sorry for my english].

9 Likes

When I feel like coding, but not sure what I want to work on at that moment, I go to codewars.com (which has only happened about 3 times). Iā€™m in the FreeCodeCamp clan.

1 Like

Ok, so Iā€™m a beginner. I am currently working my way through FCC and am about halfway through JavaScript. I signed up to Code Wars to see if I can already jump inā€¦ and Iā€™m just stumped. I look at the problems and have no idea where to start. Iā€™ll go back every few days to see if that changed. But itā€™s really overwhelming to start. And I donā€™t really know where to startā€¦ hopefully soon!

2 Likes

Iā€™ve just created an account and it seems pretty good.
I like how they encourage you to write your own unit tests for each ā€˜kataā€™ as well. Good stuff!

2 Likes

Try this first

I also face this problem.
But Believe that FCC algorithm scripting take your coding skill to new level.

Yeah, those katas are quite challenging for beginners! But if you finished FCC front end, then you can do the easy ones for sure! Try again and make sure youā€™re looking at the lowest level katas. If you still really have no clue how to do it or where to start, you can click on ā€œshow solutionsā€ and see how other people coded it. This is a great way to learn so donā€™t be afraid to do that for a few until you feel you can do them on your own.

Itā€™s amazing at how many different ways there are to solve a problem! Things you would never imagine. Some of them are super clever and some of them will give you a confidence boost in your abilities. :wink:

2 Likes

For those who find CodeWars difficult to navigate I suggest CodeFights I am a member there, you can friend me with this invite : https://codefights.com/signup/qohFLRLn8yXAF3RCh/main :slight_smile:
Happy Coding!

2 Likes

I am on this series. Stuck on problem 3 so yes, very challenging for beginner.s

I think Codewars is good but I also think it depends on the authors. To me, some problems are not explained well enough. Iā€™ve tried quite a few challenges and just donā€™t understand what the author wants. It then becomes difficult to even start.

What I do is pick something I feel like practicing and use the tags to filter. Regex or OOP for example then find a challenge that quite a few people have done. This shows at least if I donā€™t get the explanation then itā€™s just me!

Iā€™ve completed the front end on FCC so I havenā€™t done any algorithms for a while now but doing Codewars every so often makes me go back and revisit some of those things. Generally I do level 7 or 6 challenges. I just want something that I can have a quick practice on, refresh or confirm my knowledge and move on.

2 Likes

A lot of the challenges, probably too many, are about algorithms. While thatā€™s great and important if you want to become a better and better all-round coder, I think itā€™s not as effective to newbies as learning about language features and building common use cases.
Itā€™s like being given a bunch of complex grammar questions when youā€™ve barely learned any of the vocabulary yet.

2 Likes

Actually i came to know about CodeWars during the survey FCC conducted for developers a while ago. I was pretty scared to join, fearing not able to solve problems would being my morale down, so i thought i would solve basic algorithm scripting from FCC first then i will give it a shot. FCCā€™s algorithms are quite challenging as well. after completing basic algorithms i came back to CodeWars and i am hooked. I have solved around 20 problems on CodeWars with 5kyu being the highest level of difficulty i was able to crack. I am currently on 6kyu and enjoying it more than ever.

1 Like

I went on codewars thinking I could solve some of the low level challenges and ultimately couldnā€™t get past the third challenge.

Do any of you guys have any suggestions on how youā€™ve overcome some of the first few challenges?

1 Like

@drewcodes donā€™t worry just unlock the solutions and understand them, a side note though you can only unlock solutions equivalent of your rank, so my suggestion would be to solve problems which are similar to your rank. For example if your rank is 8kyu, you should solve problems of 8kyu difficulty. Hope this helps!

1 Like

I thought about doing that but I figure that might be cheating lolā€¦ I should learn the kind of solutions they want for their problems.

Thanks for responding!

1 Like

@drewcodes Yeah i also thought so but sometimes when i am stuck on a problem for more than a day i usually check out the solution to know where i went wrong and usually it turns out to be a very tiny mistake, and it also helps understanding other peopleā€™s code after all there will always be someone who would have writtten a solution far better than you. You can check out my codewars profile https://www.codewars.com/users/Kunal. You can solve the kata i have solved as i am a beginner myself may be you could solve them comfortably.

1 Like

Ive tried it on and off. Everytime I get back on after learning more about JS, I still get lost at the questions. lmao

1 Like

Thanks for sharing! I will definitely check those out!

1 Like

Thanks for the encouragement. I will definitely use your advice!

1 Like

I agree, though I have no experience as a programmer. Iā€™ve begun to learn coding many times and Iā€™ve always felt like Iā€™ve learnt only about algorithms, but got no clues as to how to implement them. FreeCodeCamp and its projects changed that a bit, but perhaps - after such a comment - you could recommend other ways/places to learn about - your words - language features.

1 Like

I think all the information is out there. Itā€™s just that comprehensive learning portals, like FCC, code wars and most others, are geared towards that universal skill set that is ā€œproblem-solving with codeā€. For many, this is a synonym for programming, and in the long-run it definitely is.

However, at the beginning, the skill that gets you off the ground isnā€™t universal problem-solving, but rather applying the right tool for the job.

The novice carpenter doesnā€™t yet need to know how certain types of wood react to varying levels of temperatures and moisture. He just needs to know which saw takes off a nice thin slice from the top to get that chair leg down to the right height.

So when it comes to finding learning resources for that early stage, itā€™s not so much about finding the right universal learning portal, but rather about finding the right quick tutorial for the kind of thing youā€™re trying to accomplish.
You can and should learn about why and how it works after youā€™ve implemented (hell, copy/pasted) it.
But knowing the right tools for the most common jobs, is far more useful for a starter than abstract algorithmic thinking.

Again, that focus should certainly shift towards the latter at some point, but if youā€™re looking for how to gain the most ground in the shortest amount of time, Iā€™d look for the former first.

1 Like