Computer Science Education

Hey, guys quick question, I am going to college in the fall for computer science. I just about to start learning Javascript because I just completed the HTML and CSS course. My professor said we will be learning C++ in school. Should I learn C++ to prepare for school or Javascript first, or try to do both. Let me know what better I know the Javascript goes with what I know already with HTML and CSS but I am not sure what to start with. I would like to be a software engineer.
Thank you.

“software engineer” is a broad term

if you are interested in Web Development, keep going with the frecodecamp curriculum

if you want to approach already Computer Science, try maybe with the Computer Science courses offered online from Harvard (CS50: Introduction to Computer Science is the first one)

3 Likes

That’s totally a personal call.

C++

Pros:

• You’ll have a head start on your school work
  • You’ll be using it right away, so your knowledge will stay relevant

Cons:

• C++ is one of the harder languages to try to teach yourself
  • The first part of the semester may feel repetative

JavaScript

Pros:

• You can put your HTML/CSS knowledge to better use
  • It’s very easy to find free resources to self-teach JavaScript (including freeCodeCamp, of course)
  • The more languages you learn, the easier it becomes to learn new ones.
  • Many of the core fundamentals will translate to C++ or at least make C++ less overwhelming

Cons:

• Languages tend to be pretty use-it-or-lose it. If you won’t be using JavaScript once you start school, it will take you a while when you want to pick it up again.
  • It might be harder to stay motivated if you don’t have a reason to learn it.
2 Likes

tldr: It doesn’t matter. You’re going to learn a few languages over the next four year. Study whatever you want right now.

1 Like

why not try to learn both?

1 Like

You will not learn C++, You will learn how to write programs with C++ as the example language.
If you do not have a personal need or wish to learn C++ I would not lean C++ to prepare for collage.
I would increase the skill in the language I currently know or like best with small projects that implement concepts of software development like sort algorithm, trees, etc

1 Like