Deleted Relational Database Projects

There were some recent reports of people losing their progress on the Relational Database projects.

There was a mistake that accidentally marked project containers as old and deleted them. Unfortunately, deleted projects won’t be able to be recovered. If you were working on any of these projects, your containers may have got deleted. My apologies for any lost projects and progress.

It’s fixed now so containers should be getting saved again. I will let you know if I find out any more information.

If anyone is still having issues related to this, be sure to let us know.

Thanks and happy coding :tada:

4 Likes

I am having trouble with this, on the Learn Bash by Building a Boilerplate. I am about 70% complete, but pausing for a break it seems it reset. It’s having me start where I left off, but am unable to get the question correctly because I restarted the terminal and even when I rebuilt the table in order to answer the question, it’s rejecting it. The answer I’m providing matches the hint answer, so it seems like the progress was deleted. Thank you for your help.

2 Likes

I have completed this project successfully. I had also clicked on the continue button on the CodeRoad page. But when I paste the link to my universe.sql file on the Solution Link box, I get the error message saying that ‘You must complete the project first.’

I have checked multiple times on CodeRoad after getting this error, my project is showing completed there.

Please help me to submit the solution link successfully.
Thanks

I just lost all my progress on ‘student database part 2’.

I started the course this morning, it was running fine. I resumed in the afternoon, but it wouldn’t run the verification script. I needed to reset for each step in order to be able to run the verification script.

I went to do something else and when I resumed I saw all progress had been lost. It replaced the container with a fresh one containing no progress.

As I see it, for the time being the only way to guarantee course completion is by doing the full course in one sitting, without having to reload the container.

all files in learn bash scripting by building 5 programs got deleted i was on my way to finish 4th program

The same thing is happening to me with Building a Student Database Part 1. Every time I advance a step in the tutorial the project files are deleted:

1 Like

The same thing happened to me, twice. And the second time I saved manually the progress.

can we use git command to go back to the branch where our progress is saved?

I know it might become complicated for some to use git commands especially the git rm, or git rebase commands…

I see alot of remote branch
codeally@434077e70743:~/project$ git branch -a
remotes/coderoad/main
remotes/coderoad/v0.2.0
remotes/coderoad/v0.2.1
remotes/coderoad/v0.2.2
remotes/coderoad/v0.2.3
remotes/coderoad/v0.2.4
remotes/coderoad/v0.2.5
remotes/coderoad/v0.2.6
remotes/coderoad/v0.2.7
remotes/coderoad/v0.2.8
remotes/coderoad/v0.2.9
remotes/coderoad/v0.3.0
remotes/coderoad/v0.3.1
remotes/coderoad/v0.3.2
remotes/coderoad/v1.0.0
remotes/coderoad/v1.0.1
remotes/coderoad/v1.0.2
remotes/coderoad/v1.0.3

Here are two options

1. a soft reset: There are two hamburger menus on the top left of the screen. Choose the left most, top most menu. The soft reset may or may not bring your files back on the first try. If my files disappear I use this twice along with refreshing the browser.
    Here is the link with how to do this:
    https://forum.freecodecamp.org/t/running-the-relational-database-curriculum-in-your-browser/500231

2. You could run most of the relational database courses, including the projects, on your own computer. When you are done working on the projects you will need to follow the instructions to run the project on the freeCodeCamp environment, pass the tests, and post the link to your repo in order to get credit for the certificate.
    Here is the link with instructions:
    https://www.freecodecamp.org/news/how-to-run-freecodecamps-relational-databases-curriculum-using-docker-vscode-and-coderoad

Hope this helps

P.S.
Option 2 is a great introduction to Docker if you don’t what that is, it’s almost like running a virtual machine but it’s called a ‘container’ and there are more differences, but that’s a whole article someone has written somewhere.

1 Like

This is Insightful
Thank you for the suggestion.

I’m still having trouble with getting the build a boilerplate using bash. I’ve gone through the troubleshooting steps and nothing has worked. I also went to codeally to delete the container and start from scratch. I clicked on delete, it cycled for second and nothing changed. The container is still there. So is there anything that I can do or should I just attempt following the steps to do it on my own machine then upload it to FCC? Any and all help or suggestions are welcome and appreciated.

You are going to have to make the choice. If you do go the route of using Docker make sure to save a copy of your work files and pg_dump to your computer (desktop outside the container for example) before you are done coding or before turning off the computer.

I already put everything on my pc, is there a way to download my previous progress that I have in the VM so I don’t have to start over?

@ ismaelpiovani

If you have a question about a specific challenge as it relates to your written code for that challenge and need some help, click the Ask for Help button located on the challenge (it looks like a question mark). This button only appears if you have tried to submit an answer at least three times.

The Ask for Help button will create a new topic with all code you have written and include a link to the challenge also. You will still be able to ask any questions in the post before submitting it to the forum.

Thank you.

awesome this fixed it for me, thank you!

Thank you for this advice! Do you know where those work files are located while completing the tutorial using Docker? It’s my first time using this method and I am not sure what directory I should be looking to copy. Appreciate the help!

Hello,
The files I’m referring to will be in your vs. code file explorer while working in the docker container.

First follow the directions here to set up the docker container and get you up and running: https://www.freecodecamp.org/news/how-to-run-freecodecamps-relational-databases-curriculum-using-docker-vscode-and-coderoad .

Once you are set up, while working on your project, as a precaution every so often run pg_dump (this produces an .sql file) and copy and save all the relevant files to your desktop. When I write ‘relevant’ files I mean the files that you will need to pass the tests in order to get credit for your code.

Lastly, once you have a working project that passes the tests in the docker container:

1. Go to the freeCodeCamp project page for the project you are working on and click the button ‘Start the project’. Once the environment is set up, copy and paste your files to the file explorer and run /pass the tests.
  2. Create a github repo and save your project files to it. Copy the URL at top of the github repo and paste it to the project page for the project you are working on. if you didn’t pass the tests as explained in bullet point 1. then you will get an error response.

Hope this helps!

P.S. I had trouble setting up the docker container because something in the instructions was slightly different then in practice. But I can’t remember what it was! If this happens to you try to troubleshoot it and if you are still having trouble come back and ask about it. Either myself or others will respond.

1 Like

I’m unable to start the course even. Even after enabling third party cookies, logging in with github and code ally, the course never seems to start. I just get redirected back and forth between Start the Course and Login with Code Ally. Please help.