Deploying portfolio on World Wide Web

Hi, I recently finished building my portfolio and I deployed it on GitHub, however I would like to get a domain name to make it look more professional. I heard it’s pretty cheap, my question is, once I get a domain name, how do I deploy my portfolio on the internet, is it similar to GitHub? Do I need hosting as well or just the domain name? Thanks in advance.

edit: Also what are the best sites to do this?

Well, this depends where you at, country city etc … Try 000webhost, they have free, but this free hosting is lacking. It good for exercise though … PS: They also have mysql support even for free tier.

Thanks, I didn’t know anything about that. I will take a look at that. This was very helpful!

When getting a domain name, would you recommend using privacy protection? If I’m not displaying that info in my portfolio at all, why would I need this?, and if case I do wish to display that info, again why would I need this feature.

Ok this is good to know because I was a bit confused with the concept, I also read a few articles about it and what you say makes sense. Thanks again.