Does FreeCodeCamp make you job ready?

Is freeCodeCamp enough to get a job?
and How Can I do that after finishing with the Essential curriculum?

I’m not sure what you mean by “Essential curriculum”, but I would guess that if you are able to complete all of freeCodeCamp, then by the time you’re through with that you’ll probably have the skills needed for an entry level job. Now, getting all the way through the curriculum will require doing a fair amount of research with outside sources, so it’s fair to say that you can’t do it through freeCodeCamp alone.

There’s obviously no guarantees -people can have very different experiences with self-directed study. The difficulty getting a job also comes down to more than just what technical skills you have. Job markets vary with location and time, and there are many nontechnical skills relevant to job hunting.

4 Likes

I meant by “Essential curriculum” for example the frontend path, the backend, or both of them…

1 Like

Those aren’t separate curricula. Those are sections of a single curriculum. The only real exception is the Python material, which is a bit of a sidequest, but still very good to learn.

1 Like

Okay, I understand, So please you know some other free resources that you can share with us :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

That’s true, thanks a lot Madame

Hi @khitermedachraf !

I agree with everything that @ArielLeslie said.
I would just like to expand on this point here

Most people think they just have to learn how to code and the job stuff will just work itself out.
But it is important to understand how the job process works and how to make it work for you so you can land a job.

Here are some tips.

Learn how to write a good resume
If your resume is bad, no one is going to look at you and will be passed over for jobs.
Even if you are a great developer, if your resume sucks you won’t get to the interview stage.
Take the time to build a good resume. There are plenty of good articles on how to write resumes.

Once you write a good resume, ask for feedback from the community.
They will look it over and offer suggestions for improvement.

Build a strong substantial project that will help you stand out
Most people just choose to showcase their class projects.
But if you do that then you will just come across as not ready for the job and a risky hire.
Your goal is to convince hiring managers and developers at that company to want to take a chance on you.
Class projects are great for practice but it won’t help you stand out during the job hunt.
Lots of people build the same projects and your goal is to stand out among the sea of junior developers
You need something substantial that will take you a few weeks to build.
Build something with some complexity to it and preferable something that solves a problem.
Draw inspiration from your previous career on what types of projects to build.

That will help you stand out.
The last thing you want to do is blend in and showcase the same projects that everyone else builds.

Network
You have a way stronger chance of landing a job if someone is advocating for you then you just blindly apply to jobs online.
You need to watch Leon’s video on practical tips on how to network and help you get to the interview stage.

Technical interview prep
Some interviews will ask you some basic technical questions concerning HTML, CSS, JavaScript, React, etc.
Study up on those so you are not caught off guard.
https://www.fullstack.cafe/

Also, you will either be asked to do a take home project or an algorithm coding challenge.
I would suggest doing the first couple of projects in the take home section to get an idea of what will be asked during the interview.

Then you can practice some algorithm challenges from leetcode, or codewars or hackerrank.
The most important thing is that you are able to talk through your process for solving these challenges.
The whole goal is to show how you problem solve.

freeCodeCamp will give you a basic starting foundation.
I would say at the very least do the first three certifications.
If you are interested in full stack then you will need to cover the backend certs too.

Once you learn the basics, start building your own projects.
That is where a lot of your learning and growth will happen.
Make sure to deploy your projects somewhere so people can see the live sites.

If you build some really strong projects and learn how to do the job process the right way then you can get a job.

Hope that helps!

7 Likes

All that you said is True and definitely helpful for me, thank you so much for the information and the good articles + resources.
I hope I become a professional full-stack developer one day.

1 Like