Excited for feedback on Personal Portfolio Project

Hello all

I’ve been lurking here for a while and found reading feedback on other people’s projects really helpful so I’d love to get feedback on my Personal Portfolio Webpage:

Happy to get feedback on any of the other projects if you wouldn’t mind taking a look at them.

Thanks

Jim

Cool, it looks pretty good.

Putting on my nitpicking cap:

I might add a:

html {
  scroll-behavior: smooth;
}

to the CSS.

I don’t know if I’d want to land on a page with very little information. Just fro experience in job hunts, you’ve got a few seconds before they decide to move on to the next 257 portfolios they have to look at before lunch.

Some of the project images aren’t showing - maybe that’s just because.

I might round some of those corners on the buttons, etc. Not much, but I hate sharp corners.

Looking at the code, it looks very clean - good. A lot of people don’t bother with that in the beginning. Seriously, I see a lot of these come in and the formatting is a nightmare. This is very soothing to read, keep that up - your coworkers will thank you.

I think you’ve over-commented a bit, but people tend to do that in the beginning. For example:

<!--start navbar-->

<nav id="navbar">
  <ul class="navlist">
    <li><a href="#welcome-section" target="_self">About</a></li>
    <li><a href="#projects" target="_self">Projects</a></li>
    <li><a href="#contact-section" target="_self">Contact</a></li>
  </ul>
</nav>

<!--end navbar-->

I can see that it’s the navbar, this tells me: <nav id="navbar">. I don’t need it spelled out. And I can see where it ends because it’s only 7 lines long. I could maybe see saying where it ends if it were really big. But all this becomes easier when you learn libraries that allow you to break up this code into modular chunks and the naming of those make function clear.

But this is all nitpicky stuff. It looks good. Have fun on the next project.

2 Likes

Thanks for the feedback! Much appreciated.

I’ve realised the images weren’t showing to other people due to where I was hosting them. I’ve switched them over to Imgur now and I think that is working, but do you have a particular image hosting site you could recommend for this purpose?

Thanks!

I mean, that doesn’t really matter in terms of getting this project done.

I used to store just on the site where the code is hosted (not an option with codepen). Lately I’ve been storing my extra files in an AWS S3 bucket.

1 Like