Feeling worried and stressed

So I lost my job a couple months ago. It was a decent full time 40k a year job with benefits but I was layed off and I have no skills or degrees.
I have been studying web design on my own for the past few months and I feel I’ve learned a ton(html, css, JavaScript, adobe illustrator, adobe xd) but I’m worried it’s not going to be enough when I run out of unemployment benefits and savings. Is it unreasonable to think I could get a job in 6 more months? Maybe a year? I know it’s hard for anyone to say for sure but am I being completely crazy?

Probably. It does happen, but it is improbable. A lot of it depends on where you live, what skills you can show, what the job market is like, how good your portfolio is, how good your resume is, how well you interview… And luck. And time and patience. That’s what gets jobs, especially the insanely difficult first job.

You can hope to land a job soon, but I would have a backup plan. You will definitely need a backup plan. I think (this is just my observation and guesstimation - that you need at least a year in before you have a good chance). True, someone could work their ass off and do it (with a lot of luck) in 6 months. And some people struggle for years because they aren’t doing it right.

So, yeah, you could do it, but I wouldn’t bet on it. Have a plan for what you are going to do if this takes another 1-2 years. I don’t want to discourage you, just to give you realistic expectations.

4 Likes

If i were you and I needed fast work. I’d learn Shopify and just add the skills you already know and start getting experience on freelancing websites even if for only $10 an hour, then take the experience and get a job as Shopify dev, web or designer dev.

This topic was automatically closed 182 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.