Help on career advice

I recently started coding yesterday, am new to programming but actually looking for a career to fit in. Though I did research on it but I think backend should be good but I checked out frontend and also like it but I don’t like designs. Also trying to relate programming with my course am studying in University which is production Engineering. Actually confused on the programming career to take or should I continue with all the teachings first then complete all before knowing what to do… it says take each course accordingly… what do you suggest I do

Though I did research on it but I think backend should be good but I checked out frontend and also like it…

My experience is that frontend is easier to break into, especially without a CS degree. In either case, it’s good to learn both.

… but I don’t like designs.

Yeah, join the club. A lot of developers aren’t particularly good at design. If you work for a company of any substantial size, there will be people that specialize in that. That being said, it’s still good to learn the basics.

Also trying to relate programming with my course am studying in University which is production Engineering.

I can’t help you there. They don’t seem to be closely linked fields, but who knows. In any case, learning is always good for your brain and a lot of the methodical thinking you learn in engineering will be good for your programming brain. Many developers have degrees in other fields - mine is in music.

Actually confused on the programming career to take or should I continue with all the teachings first then complete all before knowing what to do…

Yeah, 1 day in is definitely too soon to start specializing. Just start learning and building things.

The first 6 units fit together as a sort of “the basics of a MERN stack” track, a full stack for web development. The last 4 are python based - they are useful too, but in a different way.

I would say, just start at the beginning and learn.

3 Likes

But I can use programming as my skill because currently don’t have any skill

Thanks for your advice I really appreciate

I would spend more than 1 day before committing to anything specific. Learning to code, and becoming a developer isn’t as clear cut as “doing the curriculum and you now know everything you need”. Rather the curriculum just a tiny slice of what you could learn and use. In the same vein if you spend a few hours doing first few parts of the curriculum you have only barely grazed the surface.

I recommend looking into the rest of the curriculum thru a quick skim to see what it looks like. Then I also suggest you go out and look at other resources on the broad strokes of what a software engineer/developer does. (these terms are essentially interchangeable) This should help give you a better idea of what sort of options you can even go into, let alone pick one to focus on.

Even then, I don’t recommend specializing on anything specific early on. You want to keep as many doors open as possible when starting out so you stay as flexible as possible during the job search. It’s possible you utterly hate design or something, but

Regardless of what you do, goodluck, keep building keep learning :+1:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 182 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.