How long does it take to learn react and reactnative to get a job?

Hi guys
Can somebody tell me how long does it take to learn react and reactnative If I offer 1-2 hours per day?

weeks? months? years?

it’s impossible to say, you also haven’t said what you already know, that also is a huge factor

1 Like

It also depends on what you mean by “learn”. If you are well versed in JS you can learn it in a week.

But it will take a lot more time to get good at it, which is what is needed to work with it (get paid for it). You would have to make a bunch of apps before that happens.

1 Like

The best answer to this is “probably longer than you think”.

I worked my ass off learning FCC materials and then self-learned React Native. It took me about 6 months to get through FCC (including a long vacation in there) and then kept learning and building things. After about 6 months of that, I picked up a few React and RN freelance jobs and kept learning for another 6 months. A few months after that I landed a job. That was working probably an average of 2-3 hours per day.

But that is just my experience. #ymmv. But working 1-2 hours a day, if you are insanely lucky and/or insanely talented you are looking at at least a year. More likely it you are looking at a few years. It may take several, depending on so many factors which we aren’t even considering.

Take all these numbers with a huge grain of salt. They mean nothing - I’ve pulled them out of my butt. But people asking this question are looking for numbers. Every experienced dev hates this question but also remembers wondering the same thing. But we also know that it is an impossible question to answer accurately. It would be like asking me how many pancakes could you eat. I don’t know? How big are the pancakes? How hungry are you? Are you eating anything else with them? Are you a big eater? Is there a time limit? I just can’t answer, not accurately.

Also, there are a lot of things you need to learn besides React/RN. So, I don’t know, I guess my answer to your OP question would be 2 years, plus or minus 2 years. That’s about the best I can do.

I don’t know how long your path is, but I do know of what it consists… learn things and build things. And when you get tired of that, switch it up and build things and learn things. That’s the key. Keep learning and building more complicated things. If you learn something, see if you can incorporate it in a build. If you are building something and are unsure of how to do something, learn how to do it. All this assumes that you have a base knowledge - the FCC curriculum gives you a good foundation for that, so I would start with something like that.

2 Likes

this isnt a sprint . it’s a marathon. if it takes you a year to grasp react then it takes you a year. i wouldnt try to rush it. im struggling with react to atm. im looking out outside resources to also learn it. there s a great youtube tutorial sponsored by FCC by john smilga. you might want to check it out. he does a more simplified method than what FCC curriculum does. less class based which makes it easier to understand. also he does a nice intro on how to use visual studio which is great.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 182 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.