How many hours a day to learn JavaScript + Your Prediction

I know this question gets asked a lot, but I want a realistic time frame. How many hours a day should I spend learning JavaScript while also battling online college. I spend 3-5 hours a day completing online coursework. I have access to plenty of javascript books and other primary online resources. I plan to take the Hackreacter premium prep course in May. Also, What level will I be on if I spent that many hours learning before the end of May? Is it good enough to take the Hack reactor premium prep course?

After doing a quick glance at what I believe is the Hack Reactor prep course I think you refer to its actually kind of vague about what you learn in the course. Because of this its actually hard to gauge what you will need to know to “be ready”, or at least prepared to make the most of the course. Along with if you will actually already know most of what you will learn in the course, and essentially pay to “review”.

Without a clear set of things you are going to go over, its also not clear how much time you should spend. For example if the course teaches you everything from the ground up, then you could spend 0 hours until then and get the right amount of knowledge out of it. If the course teaches a few basics, a just a little theory and you spend a lot of time ahead of the course learning those subjects, you essentially pay to learn nothing, however you will get a certification, which may or may not be worth it.

When it comes to the “how long should I spent” question I usually recommend taking a goal oriented approach, rather than a time based one. Where you spend what time you do have on individual goals, big and small, so you can see your own progress and build toward your overall goals, like getting a job.

This way you have a clear path, and general indicator to how your progressing in relation to your goal and the time you spend. This is different than spending X amount of time doing anything and everything without a clear indicator to how your actually progressing. Just because you spend X amount of time doesn’t translate to Y amount of knowledge. People learn at different speeds, require different learning methods and require different amount of time and effort to get through different topics. Everyone is different, everyone topic is different and technically every day can be different.

Setup your long and short term goals, break stuff down, learn what you can and review how long it took during review.

Good luck, keep learning!

3 Likes

I think you should spend so many hours so that you:

• can stay mentally and physically healthy
  • do all other tasks
  • have a social life
  • can keep this amount of hours steady over the long-term (!)

In real life, this is probably somewhere between 15min per day and 8h per day.

4 Likes

It all depends. There is no golden recipe like this:

• spend X months
  • learning Y hours a day
  • doing course XYZ
  • and reading book ABC

I think that the most important thing is to set your goals and have a vision of what you want to achieve. You take big goals and break them down into smaller ones, that are easier to achieve. Then break them down as well, and so on. For example, let’s say that you want to finish freeCodeCamp Curriculum and read You don’t know JS book series .

• finish freeCodeCamp curriculum

• finish first certification - Responsive Web Design
      • finish first section - Basic HTML and HTML5
        • finish first challenge
  • finish book series

• read first book - UP & Going
      • read first chapter
        • read 10 pages

Once you have your goals you work your way towards them, taking it one small step at a time.

2 Likes

Like exercising, practicing an instrument, or anything else that is a lifelong project, you need to set a pace that you can maintain

1 Like

I didn’t even notice this thread until after I made mine just a few minutes ago, but the responses itt are kind of what I was looking for.

1 Like

If you’re going to do any premium/pay course they should all start off from a point of no previous assumed learned knowledge. I did a lot of freecodecamp and then I did the codecademy premium membership. One thing I like about payed courses is for the most part they do a great job of walking someone completely new to the subject all the way from nothing to having a solid foundation. In about 6 months of somewhere between 4-8 hours a day I can now consider myself a full stack developer. Learning javascript was only a sliver of that time but you never really stop learning a language. You just keep learning new stuff about the language. To have a basic understanding of Javascript and data types [string, boolean, function, number, symbol, array, object]. I think you could easily learn that in a month with 2 hours of study a day and some practice.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 182 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.