How recent should books be?

How recent should books be?

Hey everyone! Just one quick question: is it vital that I have the most recent books on the languages I’m trying to learn? I just checked out Beginning HTML5 and CS3 - The Web Evolved (2012) from my local library, and I’m wondering whether it might be a bit outdated. Do languages change much in 4 years, or is there no need to be concerned until a newer version of a language is created? Thanks in advance for your aid/responses. :slight_smile:

I wouldn’t worry too much about it, courses at universities are often updated only once every few years and nobody is complaining. I guess there were a lot of more incompatibility issues back in 2012 so you may find some workarounds / fallbacks for older browsers, but I haven’t read the book so don’t know if that’s the case.

OK! Are there any books that you’ve read that you would especially recommend for a beginner?

I bought this set

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Web-Design-HTML-JavaScript-jQuery/dp/1118907442/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1470942308&sr=8-2&keywords=css+javascript

nice books, very easy to read, colourful, look more like cookbooks than programming books

However:

In my opinion, I learn 5% from books and 95% by actually doing something here, on FCC or by completing courses on Udemy. Books are good if you are on a train or plane without your laptop but I think we should be spending as much time as we can doing challenges and projects, that must be the best way to learn.

One could argue that it only has to be recent as the most major update that is widely accpeted - whenever that was - for the language you’re working at.

For instance, Rails 5 is about to come out of beta but Rails 4 will still be used by a lot of people for a while (and supported for a while) so you can work with Rails 4 without worrying about 5 (but hell action cable looks SO cool)

Definitely agree. I usually turn to books when I need to give my eyes a break from the computer.