I need guidance to become a web devloper

Hey.

I am a student in my second year of college. I want to become a Mern stack developer. I have learnt html css and javascript but have been stuck at react for the last 7-8 months because of lack of practice , ignorance and no guidance.

And now I am so confused that I just don’t feel like continuing it anymore. Like its not meant for me but I have no other option other than getting some remote desk job or freelancing job because of my health conditions.

I need someone who can guide me in this field and help me grow. Is there anyone who can help me as a good friend?

1 Like

The freeCodeCamp community is here to help everyone! You can also join the Discord server for more interactions.

Are you following a self-taught path? If so, what are your sources? Are you following a specific full-stack curriculum, or choosing what topics move toward yourself?

Yeah I am following a self taught path to become a mern stack devloper but clearly its not working since I have wasted a lot of time getting confused.

Whenever you are confused, don’t esitate to ask for help!

1 Like

Thank you . Can you tell me how should I learn react after learning javascript?

Build something, consult documentation a lot, build more. Practice practice practice

1 Like

Welcome to the community Mehek21.
And from what you said, it’s hard to come into a conclusion of what your problem is that you need help with. More clarity would’ve been helpful.
Anyways, if you’re having a hard time with react because of being inconsistent then the answer will be to stay consistent. And, if the problem is with understanding how react works then you might have to read a bit about DOM manipulation - which is what react does.

1 Like

I’m in a similar boat, but not young in school like you. Consider that an advantage because you have time and a strong mind to learn all this stuff if you stick with it.

What has helped me understand React and associated technologies like Next.js is building guided projects. I build the same projects that are in the guide, but also try to figure out what’s going on at each step. Also, I try alter things a bit to see how it changes how the application works. Props, state, class components vs. functional components, hooks can all be hard to wrap your mind around, especially if you approach them with the mindset of how conventional JS is written (like in early lessons where you learn how JS interacts with the DOM directly).

Here are a few free projects that you could follow and learn from:

I’ve gone through the first and plan to do the second just so I can have some more stuff to add to my portfolio. As with JS (and anything else) consistent practice and exposure is key to learning. It’s very discouraging at times, but when something is really tough to understand, if we stick with learning it we can get a strong understanding of it.

1 Like

This is awesome and like you said, consistency make one a Pro

Might sound like a little digression from the main subject of discussion but I would like to ask,I would be starting my JavaScript session at the end of the month,what advice do you have for new-bie like me on such journey.

Thank you.

Welcome to the community!

Best open an new topic with your question in either “career advice” or “JavaScript”.

You will get more answers and you will help other students in the same boat.
Thanks

Hi Mehek!

I am sorry to hear about your lack of motivation. I hope you get past it soon and achieve your goals.

Hereby is the link for scrimba react course at FCC page on youtube. I am following their front end path and I have found it useful. I haven’t reached to react section yet. However, I believe that it might be a good source to learn react.

All the best,

1 Like

Do the most basic, simplest tutorials first. Start from ground zero and see how code is written, then start practicing writing code.

Work through as many easy problems as you need to get a grasp of syntax and how the code is laid out. Once you get a base understanding, really push yourself to solve code problems on sites like edabit, FreeCodeCamp’s interview prep, Code Wars or any other site you can find out there. Work on the problem until you exhaust your solutions, then find solutions to the problem on other sites. Try to figure out how the other person solved it, and take notes for yourself so you’ll retain it better and have a reference for when you encounter the same pattern in the future.

I started a blog for myself, just for this one reason. I have reams of notes that aren’t on the blog yet.

As I mentioned above, learn how Javascript interacts with the DOM (you may not know what this means yet, but you will).

Read documentation for JavaScript on MDN or wherever you can find it. It will be hard to read at first, but after awhile you’ll understand it better and better. Also, read the documentation for any library or framework you use in the future. It will also be hard, but like learning a new language (you actually are!) it will start to sink in.

Most importantly though, get in your IDE of choice, even if it’s just the console in the browser, and start coding. You will make more mistakes and get things wrong more often than you will get them right. Persist and you will succeed!

This is awesome and more comprehensive health explanation.However,I will like to ask if there is way I can write a code via the mobile not desktop…Is there any application out there that allows one to code on Phone.

My Laptop is currently faulty and I’m yet to repair it,so pending the time this is fixed.

Thank you.

If you want to do it well, you need a full size keyboard. There are apps that can teach you the gist of a language (syntax etc.) but you really want a full size screen and keyboard to do it. An tablet may work in the short term, but you’re going to be a programmer, so you need access to the appropriate tools!

Might I suggest trying to find an older computer and using it? You don’t need anything fancy. In fact, if you really want to get into the weeds, you could get an older machine and install Linux on it. There is a learning curve to using Linux, but on this programming path you’re on, it will be well worthwhile. You will have to learn to use the command line (typing in commands rather than using the mouse and graphical user interface), the more you know, the better developer you’ll be!

1 Like

Hey . Thanks for the advice . I think my problem is being inconsistent . So I’ll try to stay consistent.

This topic was automatically closed 182 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.