Just got my March Cohort email!

I got mine mail too.
It is going to be really exciting, I can’t wait to start.
The algorithm section was way too hard for me and I lost my motivation.
From then I am trying to keep up and also find some fellow campers to collaborate with.
Chingu coherent came into my life at right time.

1 Like

I got mine~~
Now waiting to see who I am going to be pairing up with. Or should we have like a giant channel with everyone in it? LOL

1 Like

Any chance of getting in on March? I applied but haven’t heard yet. Here’s to hoping!

Hey great note. I am also struggling to find extra time and my progress is snail speed. Do you have a schedule you work off? My kids are very very young so my coding can only happen late at night or early morning.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

1 Like

Yeah, I’m so fortunate to now be in the “both kids in school” phase. What I was working on back when both were infants or toddlers was my now-apparently-useless doctorate, and I got through that mainly because I’m also privileged to have both my parents and parents-in-law in the same town to hit up for childcare. I made very little progress on the dissertation until I finally begged both sets of gradparents to take the kids even when I “could.”

There’s a big difference between what I know to give as good advice and what I live up to, but I know a couple of the important things are “seize the little blocks of time” and “find the big blocks of time.” 20 minutes is hardly enough time to do anything worthwhile–but it’s better to take advantage of 20’ moments when they exist than not! And at the same time it never gets done in only 20 minute moments. If you have any kind of favors to call in, try to buy yourself a span of a few hours every so often, to have some momentum to power the little bits.

If your time is ever predictable, it’s important to “claim” it in advance. Right now I have maybe 5 hrs a week to code, but I know that they’re Monday and Wednesday afternoons, and that’s “coding time” and is on my calendar.

Also, if you have any problem with holding yourself on task in the time you do have, I can share what helped me with the dissertation. I hadn’t heard of the Pomodoro technique at that point, but it was basically that, or an “inverse Pomodoro.” So at first I’d buy myself a day of childcare and then play Two Dots until 4:00, write a paragraph, and feel like crap. I’d yell at myself about the sacrifices others were making for me and whether or not I deserved them and why couldn’t I finish this when that person over there could etc. Then eventually I realized that this rhetoric (while perhaps valid) wasn’t any more productive, and the Vulcan thing to do would be to recognize my tendencies, plan for them, and leverage them. I’m not “that person over there,” I work the way I work, etc. So I recognized that 1) if I sat down at the computer and “just checked email first,” I’d never get anything done, and 2) it wasn’t reasonable to expect myself, at least, to just crank it out for 8 hours and never let up.

So I adopted a strategy of “procrastinating procrastination.” I picked a “goof off” activity that was rewarding but not inescapable–Sherlock Holmes on Kindle Cloud Reader in the next tab–and told myself, “Sure I’m going to read Sherlock Holmes. Of course. I’m just going to do 5 minutes of writing first.” And then I’d set a timer, and 5 minutes later, I’d usually find myself saying, “What’s that? Time to goof off? Okay okay, just–just let me–finish this sentence first… Or pursue this thought… one sec–”

Depending on how strong I was feeling, I’d start with 50/50–or even “5 minutes on task, 20 minutes off,” and try to ramp up to something more like 15 on 5 off. Does it waste a ton of time? Maybe, but not as much as spending the whole day watching Dr. Who and yelling at yourself for it! Should a grown-ass man have the self-control not to have to bribe and trick himself like that? Maybe, but I’m not that other guy over there, and pretending I am usually leads to Dr. Who. And now I have this to show for it.

1 Like

I got mine a few days ago as well. I’m looking forward to working as a team and looking to receive delegations, with focus via The Agile Way. This will be a great addition to put upon my resume.

This will be my first Cohort and I’m looking forward to doing work as a Junior Front End Web Developer would do. I need to post some of my work within the git as soon as I can so you can see what I’ve learned thus far. Example work/practice on a TodoList App within Web Developer Bootcamp.

I understand that as a developer up and coming (and anything else in life), one must still continue ones education(practical work) and I’m glad I’m here within Free Code Camp to that going.

See you on the other side.

(unedited draft, lol)

2 Likes

ME too got a mail!! Looking forward to work in a group to build something exciting :slight_smile: and meet new people

1 Like

Yaaaaay! I got mine too!! That’s what I call ‘happy Monday’ :grinning:

2 Likes

Same here, got mine today! :smiley_cat:

2 Likes

Just got mine today the perfect start to a Monday :grinning:

2 Likes

I got into a cohort last month and just wanted to give you guys a little in site.

1. Even part-time means a lot of time on chats and working on projects. Please be prepared for this.
  2. The first week will be very slow, don’t let this fool you. Use this time to finish up your current project and get comfortable with slack and your cohort.
  3. You have to actively sign-up for the projects and study-groups you want to take part in. Keep an eye out for these in the docs. You will get the link during that first week.
  4. Install the slack app on your mobile. I often have to log in during my breaks at work, just to keep up.
  5. Don’t try to do everything at once. These projects and study groups are going to take more of your time then you may think.
  6. Be prepared to login at unusual times. Keep in mind that members are from all over the world and you will need to try and find a time you can all work together.
    I’m sure there are more i’m forgetting at the moment, but that gives you a lot more info then I had going in :slight_smile: Good luck and welcome to the cohort family.
11 Likes

I applied to Chingu after I read about your good news last week. Until then, I didn’t even know about the cohorts, since I just started FCC about a week and a half ago. So I applied as soon as I read your post, and today I got confirmation that I’m in for March, too! WOO HOO!

Hey Josh, thanks for the info, certainly very useful! I think to make it really useful you have to reallytdedicate your time for it. Is there BTW a public list of finished projects by the cohort teams? Just curious about that

1 Like

hey @chemok78, there’s isn’t one yet but I’m working on it. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

I am in too! Looking forward to get started.

4 Likes

Even I am looking forward to start in few days!!! Excited…:slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi All,

Just letting know, I too am in the March cohort, very excited to get to progress with you :wink:

Following some advice above I suppose I will have to kick it a notch to finish my current project,
Anyone already know their cohort?
Or if not, anyone in for the part time cohort?

Cheers!

1 Like

I´ve got accepted too, although I haven´t received my e-mail yet. Very excited and looking foward to start it! Yay!

Received the email with Cohort email with guide and sign up docs!. I must say i’m impressed with the setup, looking forward to start :slight_smile:

Will it be too much to sign up for 2 build to learn projects?

Anyone in the flamingo cohort?
:slight_smile: