Looking for feedback on my Jr. Frontend Web Developer portfolio

Hi, I was wondering if anyone on here would be willing to take a look at my portfolio and give me some feedback. I’ve been applying to Jr. Frontend Web Developer jobs in and around the Austin, TX area, but besides a few interviews, I’ve had no luck. I mainly want to know if the level of the projects I have on there is sufficient to land one of these jobs. I’d also love some tips on how I can improve going forward.

It would also be awesome if anyone has any recommendations on services (like a code mentor service) that do this exact thing.

Thank you to everyone in advance!

My portfolio is at www.graysonconnor.com

3 Likes

Hi @TOOTS !

Welcome to the forum!

I moved your post over to the Career Advice section since that seemed more appropriate.

For me, the text overall is hard to read.
I would increase the font size and maybe cut down on the bio length a little bit.

I think it would be nice if the project opened up in a new tab.
And there should also be links for code next to the projects.

I also think you should have a place to download your resume.

Coding Coach offers free mentorship. I heard about it at a meetup.

Also, I would check out two youtube channels.

The first one is Danny Thompson’s .
He has a lot of good vidoes on landing a job.

Also check out Joshua Fluke’s youtube channel.
He has some really good videos on resumes, and portfolio reviews.

Hope that helps!

4 Likes

Thank you so much for your feedback! I think the changes you suggested make a lot of sense and I will be implementing those soon. I also checked out coding coach and it’s awesome! I will definitely be taking advantage of that. Thank you again!

1 Like

The text in your Bio is too long in length and too small in font size. Write 1 paragraph at most and make it big enough to be readable. Also make it interesting to read. What you’ve written doesn’t grab immediate interest and you’ll likely lose a lot of people very quickly. Working for Uber (as cool as that is) and just name-dropping a known company isn’t interesting. If you did something unique or cool at Uber, then write about that instead. Again, keep it short.

Also don’t share personal info like your age.

I’d suggest a revamp of your content/layout. Start with images rather than overbearing text.

I haven’t looked in detail at your projects, but are they all basically static sites? To realistically land a front-end job, you need to demonstrate that you know one of the popular front-end frameworks / libraries, whether that’s React, Angular, or Vue.

Hi there,

I just wanted to thank and appreciate your kind efforts and inputs on Toots requests.
I was actually surprised that you took so much time in going through his portfolio followed by your feedback and suggestions. Freecodecamp is indeed impressive.

1 Like

Your site looks pretty good to me. One tip I have is ensuring you continue using Github to contribute to open source projects. This will be one area any future employer will check as it gives a good indication to your coding ability. Also, make sure you include a link to your Stack Overflow profile, assuming you are active there. I have gone down the freelance route, and you can use my website to give you an idea of what might be useful in that case:

Freelance Web Developer, Brighton UK

Good luck!

This topic was automatically closed 182 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.