Material recommendations for the beginning of my journey?

:wave:

I’m a complete novice with no experience, I love the idea of applying myself to this and breaking into the industry.

I’ve started the responsive web design course, and was hoping the forum could help me by providing recommendations of materials which will enhance my chances?

The material here is great so far, but i get the feeling i may need to utilise other avenues alongside this to aid a solid self education, in the hope of getting employed in some sort of coding role some day.

Thanks in advance :+1:

Honestly, if you’re on a path (freeCodeCamp or otherwise) I think it’s best to search for resources as you need them. You won’t know ahead of time which areas you’ll need extra resources for or what sort of resources work best for you. I wouldn’t worry too much about trying to build up a library in advance. Just get in there and get your hands dirty. When you have a challenge that doesn’t make sense, break out the google-foo.

3 Likes

Thank you for your advice, maybe I’m over thinking it :man_shrugging:

Yeah, to add to Ariel’s great answer…

Most of the technical things are going to keep changing so books will be of limited value. Fortunately, there are a lot of great references online for free. There are some great books out there about programming and design in general, but you can worry about those later.

The biggest way to help yourself is to keep learning and building things. Try to code every day. Have an inquisitive mind, but keep moving forward.

2 Likes

Thank you also Kevin.

Very encouraging advice from both of you. I think i may have found the best aid to my journey right here in this forum. :blush:

The forum and the rest of the internet - knowing how to search for things is one of the most important skills a developer has.

2 Likes

Could you recommend websites that i should be engaging with frequently?

MDN is very popular for all things about javascript. w3wchools can be OK for general HTML/CSS stuff. Stack Overflow is like this forum on steroids - but it can be a little intimidating when you start out.

And it also depends on what your tech stack is. I do a lot of React and React Native so I hit those sites a lot.

Really, google is your best friend. And then you just get a sense for where to find the answers you need. Just use google and you’ll figure it out. And if you get stuck, ask here.

2 Likes

You’ve been a great help Kevin, thank you!

As a paid (yet very cheap) option, I would recommend Colt Steele’s “The Complete Web Developer Bootcamp” on Udemy. His bootcamp flavoured course really helped me make quick progress.

1 Like

Cheers onourbal,

I did a quick search and there seems to be a lot of love for it.