Need feedback on final HTML/ CSS project before I move to JS

Hello, everyone! ALL the criticism is welcome. I’m a criticism-veteran so don’t tiptoe around my mistakes.

I’m gonna give a link to my files because I used some art that I had to edit for consistent size/ colors and some local fonts. You wanna download: Images and Fonts files, DDD.html and styles-shorter.css.
https://app.box.com/s/r4itbv4w7obp04nf9gt4gripqbnksw45

With this project I was trying to practice a whole bunch of things I learned between March and May. I’m pretty sure I should move on to JS now, I feel like I have a solid grasp on HTML and CSS but let me know what you think. FOR NOW buttons and links aren’t exactly what they should be - I’ll change that stuff once I know JS. I tested this on Firefox, Chrome and Edge on different screen sizes and it seemed to work well.

QUESTION: Can I use someone else’s art for a programming portfolio? Otherwise I’ll have to replace these fantasy races with some random stuff because I couldn’t find anything fitting for free online.

Since this is a lot of code, I’ll list things I was trying to exercise here so it’s easier for you to give me feedback on them:

1. Grid and flexbox.
  2. Multi-column.
  3. Responsive design.
  4. Mobile first and design first approaches.
  5. Follow code guide, keep everything organized and easy to read.
  6. Try following BEM naming or AT LEAST use classes.
  7. Style forms, checkboxes, buttons etc.
  8. Use a reset.
  9. Comment code properly.
  10. Semantic HTML.

HTML file is pretty straightforward but CSS is LONG, however I made sure to comment it so that it’s clear where each part starts. Let me know if these comments help navigate the code or should I do something differently.

i think you should a service like github pages which allows you to host your website code as well as your static assets just so that it’s easier for others to give you proper feedback because it is a bit hard this way.

My main concern right now is that this project contains art I basically stole so would it be okay to put it on github?

I would recommend having proper attribution such as title and the name of the artist in your html file as a comment and then if you can,If you really like the artwork then i would suggest you to contact the artist for permission of use.

Okay, I’ll get to it but it will be a while because I’ve found these professionals on DA and they rarely open their messages there or rarely show up at all which is why I have to resort to THIS at the moment. For now I’ll credit them in HTML.

yeah make an effort to contact them and the worst that could happen is they would ask you to not use it but i think they might not do that because you’re only using it as a side project and not for commercial purposes.

Hello, everyone! I’m posting this for the 2nd time because originally I didn’t provide Github or Codepen link and people weren’t able to easily help me. ^^"

Since I’m using a bunch of stolen art, this won’t be a part of my portfolio and I’ll make it private soon.

With this project I was trying to practice a whole bunch of things I learned between March and May. I’m pretty sure I should move on to JS now, I feel like I have a solid grasp on HTML and CSS but let me know what you think. FOR NOW buttons and links aren’t exactly what they should be - I’ll change that stuff once I know JS. I tested this on Firefox, Chrome and Edge on different screen sizes and it seemed to work well.

Since this is a lot of code, I’ll list things I was trying to exercise here so it’s easier for you to give me feedback on them:

1. Grid and flexbox.
  2. Multi-column.
  3. Responsive design.
  4. Mobile first and design first approaches.
  5. Follow code guide, keep everything organized and easy to read.
  6. Try following BEM naming or AT LEAST use classes.
  7. Style forms, checkboxes, buttons etc.
  8. Use a reset.
  9. Comment code properly.
  10. Semantic HTML.

HTML file is pretty straightforward but CSS is LONG, however I made sure to comment it so that it’s clear where each part starts. Afterwards I learned that I should’ve written CSS in a bunch of smaller files and link them to HTML. I’ll do it next time.

This topic was automatically closed 182 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.