New to Python or any coding language. Where should I start?

Dear all,

I’m a 23 year old graduate with Accounting and Finance as my major. I’m intrigued by the topic of Data Analytics and I wish to learn the same. I did my research and found out that Python is the most important language for DA. But I have no knowledge of coding or any computer language.

(I learned how to make a very basic website using HTML as a part of an optional subject called I.T. , during my college days)

So where should I start?

Should I do the “Scientific Computing with Python” or “Data Analysis with Python” available on freeCodeCamp?
Or
Should I do some other course? Maybe Google’s DA Certification program from Coursera.

Please guide me.

Thank you.

Regards,
Zurich.

Hey zurich,

Just a few months ago, I was in a similar position, starting out as a complete beginner and wanting to learn how to program. Currently, I am at a somewhat “Intermediate/Advanced” level in Python. Maybe I can help you?

Starting out, I watched this Tutorial for Python, it’s around 4 hours long but covers a wide range of topics and basic features in Python. It’s by freeCodeCamp and is beginner-friendly!

Then, don’t forget to put what you know into practice. This is where sites and courses come in handy. I recommend you to try the Scientific Computing with Python course or solve simple problems in sites like Codewars, where you can dive deeper into Python.

Completing all these will take about a month or two. After that, you will have a good knowledge of what, where and how to further use Python for Data Analytics.

Cheers!

Hi Daniel,

Thank you for such a prompt reply. I checked the video and I feel it will the right first step for me.

So you are suggesting that the Scientific Computing with Python course should be done first and then the DA with Python course?

Lastly, do you know anything about the Google DA course on Coursera? I mean any reviews from any friends or colleagues?

Thank you.

Hey there,

The Scientific Computing with Python course focuses on building up your basic knowledge of Python such as different data types, objects and explores more topics such as Networking and Relational Databases (dont’t worry about what these means, it’s clearly explained in the course).

Meanwhile, the Data Analysis with Python course will explore the use of libraries (again, don’t worry) to analyze and visualize data.

To answer your question, I strongly recommend the Scientific Computing with Python course first after watching the tutorial, and then the Data Analysis with Python. However, in the end, it’s all up to you, if you are ready to dive into Data Analysis, of course. The important thing is to not give up even when you feel like.

Alright. Duly Noted.

I’ll take a dive with a “never give up” attitude.

Stay in touch, Daniel.

Thank you.

1 Like

Best of luck! I am still learning until now. If you have any questions, feel free to message me! :smiley:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 182 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.