Noobie here - hi!

Hi everyone! New here. I was stuck in Odin’s for awhile and a friend kept telling me to look into freecodecamp. Glad I started, happy to be here. I have no technical background so its been a fun ride so far. Any general tips are greatly appreciated! TY

2 Likes

I’m not sure what Odin’s is, but welcome. It’s a pretty nice group here, very friendly and helpful.

My advice is just to work the curriculum. Try to code every day. Once you get to a certain point in the curriculum, maybe start thinking about building some side projects. When you are done with the curriculum, keep building and learning. That is the key - keep learning new things and keep building things that use those new skills and that force you to learn even more new things.

As to the forum, my most common advice is to keep your questions specific. The more specific the question, the better the answers in quality and quantity. And don’t be afraid to ask a question - there is no question so basic that most of us didn’t know it at one point and that there are at least a dozen other people still wondering but are too afraid to ask.

3 Likes

Hey @soulsteeper welcome! Here are some tips I have:

1. Work the curriculum from top to bottom if you are interested in front-end web development. Start at the HTML/CSS course then proceed with JavaScript and so on.

2. freeCodeCamp has a snazzy “focus music” radio page. I use it all the time when coding and it’s great: https://coderadio.freecodecamp.org/

3. Learn some HTML and CSS then build some basic projects on the side to practice what you learn. The projects at the end of the course are great, but build something else that interests you in addition to those five final projects.

4. Follow freeCodeCamp on Twitter and watch for articles you’re interested in, then follow those authors. Their insight into coding and the developer industry is great!

2 Likes

Oh, absolutely! I get distracted easily and start reading articles about coding and start downloading apps for this and that but freecodecamp has definitely been exciting to learn even when I get stuck. TYSM for all of the advice.

1 Like

A focus music page! How awesome! TYSM for all of the advice!

2 Likes

That can be a good thing. I try to spend 15-30 minutes each night reading coding things - articles, blog posts, documentation, videos, etc. This can be a great way to keep hip about what is new and to expose you to things you may have missed.

But yeah, you don’t want to let it distract you from coding. I think it is an important skill to develop focus and not let things distract you, to put up boundaries.

2 Likes

Welcome @soulsteeper we are :100:% happy :grinning: to have you here

1. Go to the courses you will learn a lot from there.

2. Get a text editor such as visual studio code or notepad

3. An if you want to focus on coding close out websites like youtube videos, games, open distracting apps, and play some lofi beats.

4. Ask us anything

2 Likes

oooo absolutely! Definitely will look into a text editor! TYSM

Merveilleux! Bienvenue! Tellement heureux que vous soyez ici, heureux d’apprendre!

1 Like

do you mean TheOdinProject? I also taught myself programming there. Please review the introduction of each module to understand how to learn more effectively.

I learned Ruby-lang and RoR framework quite smoothly, but when I started learning Js, I was stuck. These two languages ​​are different in many ways and for inexperienced people like me this is a disaster.I often do not understand objects, functions work in js. I don’t know if you have the same problem as me?

1 Like

You’re welcome! Happy coding!

1 Like

Lofi beats are clutch.

1 Like

I haven’t got that far into programming but I’m so glad that you pointed that out…keeping that in mind to learn programming in spades. I find JS so much fun but I didn’t get too far in to TheOdinProject to comment on Ruby, will definitely go back to TOP at a later date. happy learning :slight_smile:

1 Like

I think i will try to learn Js again. It is so popular, i can see it every where in the world. I hope this time, I can learn it easier

This topic was automatically closed 182 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.