Put my heart and soul into my portfolio. Feedback please!

I spent 3 days working on my personal portfolio. I put a lot of time and thought into it. I am extremely new to coding. I started 10 days ago so advice and criticisms are greatly appreciated. Also, I see some people put their portfolio on their github. Would someone be kind enough to tell me how I could do so as well? Thanks guys!

10 Likes

Hello N1CKL3 :slight_smile: First of all sorry for my bad english :frowning:
I’d give you a few suggestions and tips:

Have a nice day!
Web designer Milan :wink:

Thank you so much!

I also agree with you about large blocks of text with the reference to books. I read a lot and I was thinking about how distracting it would be to have it all centered.

I am going to continue to learn more about web development and continue to upgrade my portfolio in the future. I noticed that a lot of people have sleek business portfolio pages, but I think mine really represents me as a person. Perhaps it’s too personalized? Don’t know if you have thoughts on that.

Lastly, I was reading about having rights to images that you use as a background image. I didn’t know if you could explain that to me. I understand the idea of copyright, but I thought that it was okay as long as you didn’t make money based off of their work. Perhaps I am wrong?

Thank you for taking the time to look at my page. I really appreciate it!

as a first timer this looks great! :slight_smile:

Impressive work! Don’t slow down now, there’s lots of projects to complete. :slight_smile:

I must say I absolutely love it! The design looks really nice, you did a good job.

I would just make text a bit more narrow, it’s hard to read on big screens or maybe I would use justify as peeps before me recommended :stuck_out_tongue:

Moreover, I would maybe make menu more narrow too, it feels too far apart for me but I think this is only a matter of opinion :wink:

Other than that, really nice portfolio page, definitely better than my first.

Hey, Nicole!
It is really nice work! I like your portfolio.
I think it is a good idea to make portfolio that describes you and your skills. I think it is mean you are open for people. It is very good!

About design of the page. Try change styles of text “Aspiring Front-End Web Developer”. It is little difficult to read the text on the background. I think.

I like the webpage! Keep coding!

Thank you everyone for all the positivity and encouragement! It means a lot to me. I also take your words and advice to heart and will go back and make changes. I’m off to javascript now that I’ve completed the first 2 projects. Wish me luck! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

Hi,

for a 10 day old web developer you have done a fantastic job.

The design is not bad, but what really stands out to me is that you have worked on your website until everything lines up properly and responds perfectly. With that much attention to detail I think you will do very well for your self.

In regards to your site being personal, for me, personally, I would depersonalise my portfolio and let the work do the talking. I do this because ultimatly what the custoimer wants is just to see if you can produce good work, I don’t think they care if I like mountain biking and dogs. However, I have barely any experience myself so that opinion comes from a survey of 1!.

Oh wow! Your portfolio looks amazing! I can tell that you put some serious effort towards it. Great job and good luck

For a 10 days old Web developer I must say it’s a greater then expected achievement. Keep on coding. You are definitely gonna kill Javascript. :slight_smile:

Looks great for a first effort. Actually, great in general. Checked it in Chrome on a Mac and on an iPhone. Main body text works on the Mac but a bit of white space on the left margin on the mobile version. Still, very clear and readable. Better than a lot of corporate stuff I see.

On your “About Me” page - the main text is a bit overwhelming on a desktop. I like your choice of font, so maybe two columns, or increase your white space margins? Overall layout is appealing.

I’m new at this as well - working on this same first project, but have considerable experience with print. I have seen excellent coders who lack design skills and excellent designers who can’t translate it into a working web page. You seem to have done well on both fronts.

You did a great job. As a beginner, your work looks like it was created by an intermediate developer. As others have said it, there are more projects ahead and with each New project completed, you can always come back and apply those skills.
Keep it up and happy coding!