Remote job for a self taught developer

I have a question in mind. Is it possible for a self taught web developer (without any real dev experience) to get a remote dev job? If yes, is it advisable? I would be glad if someone could share their success story.

There have been a bunch of people sharing their success stories on the forum. You’ll probably get the information you want fastest if you use the forum search to find other threads.

1 Like

Yes, it is possible.
I was able to land a remote job after 1 1/2 years of learning on my own.

I personally think it is more important to seek a job that has mentorship for juniors.
The early part of your career is really important and that will help you set you up for success.

If possible, you want to be in an environment that supports juniors growth and helps guide them on the right path so they can grow into mids and eventually seniors.

I have had a couple of friends who were in environments that were not supportive of juniors and it almost led them to leaving the industry all together.

I personally really like remote work.
But I am more glad that I was able to get the support I needed to grow and learn from seniors.

When you are looking for jobs, I would suggest keeping your options open to remote and in office jobs and focus more on the company support for early career devs.
Once you have some experience under your belt, then you can start to look for only remote jobs.

1 Like

Of course, it is possible. A lot of people successfully work this way
But I think that in the very beginning working at a company can have advantages as you can gain new skills and knowledge from more experienced people.

This topic was automatically closed 182 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.