Remote Jobs for Junior dev

What’s the best place for a beginner in Html/CSS/Javascript to find a remote job with little pay ? im trying to find a job like this so i can start building up my skills and qualification

While it’s true that a lot of learning happens on the job, you have the core skills to perform the job first. I know that their are some careers where you can get hired without training and learn as you go, but programming isn’t like that. You wouldn’t hire a beginner students as a developer just like you wouldn’t hire a random person with a calculator to be your accountant.

3 Likes

Hi @freesudani!

I am also a beginner and I would imagine it would be really tough to get a remote job with no prior work experience as a developer.

Juniors need supervision and that is tough to do when everyone is working from home.

I am not saying it is impossible but probably tough.

Maybe you could try doing some small freelance work to build up your skills.

2 Likes

I would try to find local small business owners and do some cheap work for them.

Remote jobs for junior devs are hard to find, because it opens up new challenges for the company (mentoring the junior dev tech-wise AND communication-wise).

Yeah , thats why im willing to compromise on the pay , i do recognize im a beginner but i have to start somewhere.

@miku86 @jwilkins.oboe local businesses is not an option right now where i live , economy is down and nobody is willing to entertain a web developer right now.

Here is my insight on this :

• If a remote job is the only thing you want, I would focus on the distributed teams or remote first companies that were remote from day 1 instead of the companies that shifted into remote because of covid 19. Examples of such companies are Automaticc, basecamp

• Even though the position is advertised as being remote, some companies do filter resumes based on the location. Part of why they do so is for legal reasons (some countries do require for example that the company have an office in that country to be able to hire from that country). Check this post from this CEO https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=17022563
    If the company advertising the job position is willing to hire from anywhere, you will be in a fierce competition with a lot of talents from your country and from similar countries applying for the same thing

• It seems to me that trying to find a job in your country first is the best solution. While doing that, trying to work as much as possible on your profil. Your goal should be to have the strongest profile possible to stand out among the competition applying for remote jobs or to convince a foreign company to sponsor your visa to come to their country.

Hope it helps

1 Like

It’s not about the pay though, there isn’t really a compromise here. A developer is an expensive resource and needs to provide value to a given company. A very junior developer still costs a lot (it’s not just their take-home pay, that’s small change in comparison), because the more they don’t know, the more time has to be spent teaching them (plus they cost the same in terms of physical resources, insurance, payroll etc as a non-junior). Organisations do not normally say “we want skilled workers, but if you cannot demonstrate skill we’ll hire you anyway and pay you peanuts” – this is not how the job market works.

And a remote junior job is hard to get for reasons expanded on in other posts.

If you are a complete beginner, you have to temper your expectations here – there is very little chance you can get a job with only beginner skills. As @ArielLeslie says, you wouldn’t hire someone random with a calculator to be an accountant. That is the case in any skilled job.

Software development is interesting because jobs are more than acheivable for those who are self taught, but a beginner is still a beginner. You can definitely get a job, but the process of self-teaching the skills is likely to take a significant outlay of time.

Even apprenticeships are generally tied to qualifications (albeit lower level than degree qualifications).

I want to be clear, I’m not trying to dissuade you in any way: a large percentage of developers I have worked with are self-taught, as am I. But unless you are incredibly lucky, it will take a significant amount of time to get a first job, and in that time you need to try to get well beyond beginner level so that when interviews come, they want you rather than the person who’s just come off a degree program.

6 Likes

Hi @freesudani.
The best place I feel is volunteer, intern or do something for a friend (static, dynamic pages, apps)… Offer to assist a developer online. If he/she refuses, continue with others.

I knew nothing of web development till this year. Started with Colt Steele’s Web Dev Bootcamp (up till jQuery though), I applied for GADS (followed Pluralsight courses up to js), then volunteered my HTML and CSS skills about 3months unpaid, now its intern with little pay, next it will be good pay.

Now I want to learn with FCC from the beginning (structurally) :smiley:

1 Like