Super newb at 32

Super newbie here, desperately trying to make sense of how to get started in tech. For some background, I have two degrees (one in music, one in jewellery design), and I’ve been working in the jewellery industry for the past five years. I want to get into tech for various reasons - it’s an interesting and ever-changing and evolving field, there are more opportunities to move up the ladder, salaries are competitive and remote work is more possible than in other fields. I know it’s not too late for me to make this change, but I’m absolutely terrified if I’m being honest. I have no idea where to begin.

I’ve spoken to dev friends and they all seem to agree that just learning a language to begin with is a good idea. I started some Python courses on Udemy but never really got going. I heard about FCC on the Code Newbie podcast so I thought it would be a good place to try and make an actual start. I’m hoping that by just going through the curriculum from top to bottom some light will get shed on the shadow that is “tech” and “coding”.

Wish me luck

14 Likes

better late than ever, right?! happy learning :slight_smile:

2 Likes

32 is still young! I too wish I had started earlier but luckily in this coding world, just a couple of years of experience can make a big difference. We got this!
I also found some encouragement from other people’s stories in this thread if you have not seen it maybe it will help.
New Career at 45

4 Likes

I’m 54 so that must make me an uber noob :rofl:

4 Likes

Haha, I was more referring to my newb status as knowing virtually nothing about coding, not my age :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Welcome to tech world, have a look at various types of jobs available and decide which one you wish to learn for next 1 year before starting to apply for jobs

2 Likes

Same here (33). I have a background on engineering so I know C programming. Although I aced it back then, it was super basic and only supposed to introduce us to programming mindset.

I’m looking into developer world as I started to feel stumped on my current job. I started out in Coursera, learning Data Analytic and Data Engineering. I built a project to help me in my current job and planned to go on other projects. But they held my hands too much that I was struggling to learn something new outside of the site. So, I joined fCC in hope that I can be more independent.

1 Like

46 here.

Responsive we design done. I started de JS certification, but realized that I need to go deeper in HTML and CSS before, so that’s what I am doing now. After this I will go to JS, and hope to change my career after.

1 Like

Hey,

your age is definitely not an issue :smiley:

There’s just so many paths to choose from I can’t even say what you should begin with in the first place… do you want to build devices, design stuff, build websites, …
Either way, on the top of FCC, you could start reading a little bit about history of modern computing and what the heck is a computer, or you can start watching these Crash Course videos on YouTube to give you some basic understanding of what computer is and what are its essential components, what they do and how they work together, etc.
You’ll see that there are many rabbit holes along the way you can dive in and it’s really up to you which one you choose :smiley:
I found this Internet History course from Dr. Chuck very useful source of information where he explains many concepts not only concerning the Internet.
When it comes to coding, I would highly recommend you to start with the Harvard’s CS50x course which will introduce you basics of programming, databases, data structures and web programming. For strengthening your skills in HTML, CSS and JS for that course, you can use FCCs Responsive Web Design and JavaScript courses. Once you’re done with that CS50x and you think that you want to learn more about web technologies, come back here and finish the projects, start with Front-End development and so on…
Very biased opinion :smiley:

Good Luck on your journey

2 Likes

Good luck!! I hope you can become more independent and that you find a job where you don’t feel so stumped.

1 Like

Thank you so much for all this info! I’m currently enrolled in a Udemy course on “pre-progamming”, where they teach you the basics of how computers work, what types of languages are out there and what they’re used for, etc. It’s been super interesting and informative. And of course you can never go wrong with Crash Course, thanks for the suggestions!

I’ve just watched couple of minutes of that “pre-programming” course and… it’s okay I guess… would not pay for it though… CS50x is definitely the way to go after that… get your hands dirty and make your brain hurt time to time.

2 Likes

Best of luck! I’m in a similar situation and I can only recommend fCC so far, it’s super helpful to learn with a clear path to follow. All the best on your journey!

1 Like

Hi ! I’m 33, trained veterinarian, I decided to change career this year too.
I’m in the interview process with a few compaies but confident it will lead to a job in the next few weeks !

Changing career is scary, but with programming, you can learn while staying at your current job for stability. You can learn here on FCC, the cool thing is the projects certification. It’s guided but not enough to be too easy. You’ll need to find a way to do it on your own.
I’ve done codecademy pro path, Udemy has great tutorials too. Codecamedy has a little survey you can take and it’ll help you to choose a path : front, fullstack, backend, data …
Harvard CS50x is amazing and free (without the certification) to start from the basic.

But while you learn, try having a personnal project. Maybe an app that can help your day to day jewellery work or an association you work with or anything. Finding what you want to do with code is as important as learning to code.

I’ve been developing apps for veterinarian as a hobby for the last two years. I’m more in a learning by doing kind of way, with a real goal. But I think having real projects to show is what’s helping to get interviews without applying (recruiters come to you on LinkedIn).

Good luck in this really fun but long journey that is learning to code and switch career !

2 Likes

Best wishes, you’ve got this. Fire away! :fire:

Try freeCodeCamp’s RWD course, it is super noob-friendly.

(New) Responsive Web Design

I had students start with Microsoft’s MakeCode. They’re run little games you make. They are great for learning the basics.
Microsoft’s MakeCode

When you get to them:
Flexbox Froggy (a game to play to practice)
Grid Garden (pretty much the same game, but CSS Grid)

I followed you on GitHub, if you ever need help with things or whatever. We’re almost the same age, but I am a bit in your future. I am experienced in programming/dev/design, but still rather novice.

Welcome to our world! :sparkler:

1 Like

Hey @Louiseykat! I was in a similar boat as you a few months ago. If you follow the FCC curriculum from the beginning, then you will learn a lot in a short period of time. You’ll be surprised at the amount of knowledge you can retain especially with enough practice! Good luck to you!

1 Like

Hello! What are you working on now? I started the new responsive course a bit ago. Let me know if you need help. It’s a great course.

I am 33 and I feel overwhelmed. I am also starting tech. I am unsure sometimes how I will begin, some lessons for me are challenging. But seeing a post like this encourages me to push myself harder.

1 Like

Hey, that’s awesome. I’m thirty and have just started this journey too. It’s never too late to learn new skills and find a new career. I hope you go the distance!