New guy looking at getting a new start

Hi all,

I’m new here, I’m a 51-year-old big kid, that loves PCs for gaming and has never ventured much further into IT and tech, other than doing an A+ certification some years ago.

This site was suggested to me as a good place to learn and develop new skills, the forums look like a good place to find help and motivation, so I have decided to join this community.

I thought it would be good to reach out and say hi before I start working on my first steps. I hope this is the right place to do that.

Thanks.

6 Likes

hi there @KeyboardDemon!

you are the proof that age is only a number!

very wise decision, I totally understand it, because its the same on my side too. Altough I never been a gamer, but I use computers very widely. So a decision in age of 38 without being with no background- I’m a history teacher in my past- made me to turn to It technology in order to get into field of freelancing.

Coding journey means to deal a lot with running into walls, frustrations, but that “AHA” moment when something that you been stuck for hours\days suddenly works- its priceless!

This is a great place and the best community ever I been to, here you can share your concerns, frustrations, getting help and so on.

the first step in your position, to my opinion is deciding WHAT you want to learn, toward what you want to go- IT world is very wide and multioptional

Feel free to write me even in the DM, me or even friends here in the forum will be happy to assist you in every question and doubt!

regards,
David

2 Likes

I’ve gone through HTML and HTML 5.0 Basic and also completed the CSS basics, covering a few modules at a time and I am happy with my pace through them, but I am concerned that I might not be retaining the knowledge I gain as move on through the stages.

Is it time for me to start a project in order to start putting what I have learned into practice?

If so, what should I start with? or where should I start?

If you go through the rest of the modules in the Responsive Web Design section, at the end are five projects. The projects give you practice and will help you to keep the knowledge in your head. You will forget, and have to go back and review as you build the projects. We all do. Have fun :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks, that’s helpful to know. It gives me something to aim towards.

I honestly don’t know a better place to learn. It’s like the wikipedia of learning code. There is a large group of users that keep coming back. I started back in April and I get just as much of a kick out of answering questions in the forum as I do in solving new lessons. It is a great exercise for me because I get to revisit old topics and really think hard about if I do understand how to answer a question.

My grandpa gave me some great advice. Find someone better than you to learn from (freeCodeCamp) and someone who knows less than you ( newbies in the forum).

There are new people starting down the path of a coding career every day on this site so it won’t be long before you are going to be able to help with exercises that may have just finished.

I’ve paid for many different courses and probably less than half were better quality. Between the activity on the forum, the vast treasure trove of youtube videos and the exercises. there’s millions of dollars worth of man hours that have been donated to this site.

You’ve come to the right place. I really can’t overhype it enough.

2 Likes

Welcome to FCC @KeyboardDemon! I am newbie to programming and started my coding journey 2 months ago. One of the things that I love about FCC is their youtube channel.

They have an insane amount of content on there. I would highly suggest bookmarking that page .

Happy coding!

2 Likes

Thanks, I can’t believe that I haven’t looked at the YouTube channel yet and just started my first project, Tribute Page, today.