Welcome to freeCodeCamp's forum

Hello all!

My Name is Lauren and Iā€™m from Tennessee. I just started the course as of yesterday, and just wanted to get to know the forum space. Iā€™m currently getting back into code after a year. My background is kind of complicated, because I wasnā€™t familiar with code or programming when I first entered college. I was kind of pressured into something my family deemed ā€˜worthwhileā€™ and was doing Criminal Justice as an associates degree and did finally convince them that I could add Interactive Multimedia Production. It was in that other degree path that I had a coding class with HTML and I loved it. The only reason I didnā€™t keep up with this degree was the pricing of the Adobe products used for most of my classes after they went subscription-based and as I was living with grandparents that were fearful of automatic payments and no job because of school at the time, I became extremely behind on the advancements. I did go on and finish up a Bachelors with the Criminal Justice but when I had one semester left I realized it WASNā€™T what I wanted to do. I pretty much gritted my teeth and bared it because I was almost done and a degree felt better than no degree. Long story short, graduated, and went to working retail for a while before I decided to enroll with Capella University in their web design program. Unfortunately, with that plus my previous loans, I was nearing the cutoff for federal borrowing and because I wasnā€™t making enough in retail or even at the warehouse job I now have, I was afraid to go with private loans. So I dropped out and kind of spiraled into a depression of not wanting to touch code for about a year.

Finally though, Iā€™ve gotten out of my funk and Iā€™m fully prepared to buckle down. Iā€™m leaning towards sticking with web design, but if I find another option that seems to call to me more, I will go for it. I started at the beginning of the camp to refresh my memory on HTML and so far it seems to be coming back pretty well. I plan on looking into other supplementary materials to learn with, and Iā€™m planning on looking at other various programming languages. Looking forward to learning and coming to this forum for advice!

5 Likes

Hi Everyone. Just joined, so I figured Iā€™d say Hello to everyone. Whatā€™s up?

1 Like

Hello Coding World

My name is Jason. I started FCC on Monday, March 8th. I joined FCC because of wanting to dive deeper into Frontend Engineer/Developer after I finish another program in June 2021.

I grew up in Washington DC, and Iā€™m a major in Associate Applied of Science & Bachelor of Science in Cybersecurity/Networking. Thanks be to God for giving me provision & vision to pursue Front-End Engineering/Developer.

I chose this path because of having a desire to learn coding and up my skill level. COVID-19 has put a cap on my career as far as advancement. So far, Iā€™m having a blast learning how to code, and I look forward to the journey ahead.

Iā€™ll probably be back on here asking for help of course :slightly_smiling_face:,
because although Iā€™ve been in the coding neighborhood but Iā€™ve never stayed in it. Iā€™m trying to take advantage of my time wisely, and hopefully come out to a career position in Front End Engineer/Development.

'til next time,
Happily Joyfully Coding everyone!

2 Likes

Hello!
I am Emile 21 years old trying to learn to code to improve my skills, and hopefully get a job in the tech industry.
I started with freeCodeCamp about 2 months agoā€¦ and I am looking for communicating with other learners to support and help each other
have a great journey
peace :heart:

2 Likes

Continue it broā€¦
Keep motivated :v:
happy Coding !!!

Hi everyone!

I am Wenda from Indonesia. I am learning to code to become a Backend Software Engineer. Iā€™m joining a 4-month intensive bootcamp online. [redacted link]

1 Like

Hi, Iā€™m Callie Albert. Iā€™m improving my skills

1 Like

Hi everyone, my name is Nate.

I want to learn to code because I want to create and immerse myself into the tech world, eventually to be able to get into AI (machine learning / deep learning/ etc.).

Iā€™ve been learning to code by myself through the help of freeCodeCampā€™s free curriculum, Google, YouTube, and other free online resources.

This is my first time to be a part of an online community as I donā€™t really speak to anyone very much, so itā€™s nice to do this for a change!

1 Like

Gift Maphenye Phasha / aka missmapasekababe
itā€™s fascinating and i became an enthusiast in coding
trial error, but the marathon continues

2 Likes

Hi all. Iā€™m a new member, starting out looking at HTML and CSS to find my feet. Looking to supplement my existing skillset to allow me to work more closely with other developers in my current career.

1 Like

Hello, my preferred nameā€™s MAZ. A young boy wants to learn to code since 2019 and decided that the Front-end journey is what I want.

Iā€™m learning code because since I got into the internet when I was a little kid, Iā€™ve always been interested in computers and ICQ chat system and webpages in the 90s, but I was never interested in data structure and algorithms (I suck at physics so bad), and complex things.

I started at creating videogames using GML then got bored and started learning JS for creating visuals on Khanacadmey website. After a couple of depression moments, high school, and burnouts, I started coding again except I have a ā€œsolidā€ roadmap this time and help and hope. (As long as Iā€™m learning and doing what Iā€™ve learned itā€™s fine)

Currently, Iā€™m learning JS on freecodecamp and itā€™s going great so far, missed the IF statements and for/while loops.

var str = "I'm from egypt";
var secondStr = "Nice to meet you!";
console.log("Hello World " + str + " " + secondStr)
1 Like

Hello! My name is Chris. Iā€™m located in the USA in California.

I started freeCodeCamp a while ago, I think in 2017, but stopped after a while. I decided to pick it up again after being laid off a couple of months ago due to company restructuring.

A year ago, I learned SQL through a couple of courses on Udemy and was able to apply those skills to my previous job. Now, Iā€™m back to following the curriculum on freeCodeCamp and using LinkedIn Learning to learn additional skills.

1 Like

having an issue with pencode while trying to build my project

Hi,
I passed all the HTML and CSS chalenges. I am blind and I know that many other blind people had experience with freecodecamp.
I am suposed to start building my first project, but I am not able to edit using pencode.
I will be very grateful if someone has 10 minutes to show me how it works?
By the way, I am using Jaws and blind people will know what I mean.
many thanks in advance
Driss Mareoudi

1 Like

introducing myself

Hi all,
I am Driss, joined Freecodecamp like 3 monthes ago.
I have a keen interest in coding and I would like to build a career as a developer. I am blind, and I like accessibility on freecodecamp website.
I am also looking for a new student to work with, someone with whom i can exchange information and motivation.
Thanks

1 Like

Hi @drissmareoudi !

Welcome to the forum!

If you are having an issue with codepen, it is best to make a new post and people can assist you there.

You might want to connect with Florian Beijers on twitter. He is a professional developer who is also blind.
https://twitter.com/zersiax

1 Like

My name is Mauricio Gomes
I am a Office automation engineer and want to learn to develop software programs. But I have no idea from where I need to start.
Long back I did a small course in assembly language programming on 8080. and then I had worked for a short while in programming.

1 Like

A good programmer is stubborn. Or a nice way to say that is a good programmer is persistent. It is normal to be frustrated and confused and give up. A good programmer is too stubborn to let that feeling continue. So do not get discouraged.

Well I try to read an entire thread (discussion) before replying but this one is just too big.

I began programming in high school many years ago before it was taught in any university, half a century ago. I first learned FORTRAN but I have not used that since then. I next learned COBOL then joined the United States Army and was a COBOL for the Army. When I got out of the Army programmers were much more in demand than they are now.

I taught myself machine language (assembler) for IBM Mainframe computers and for Intel x86 computers. I have learned many languages. I learned C and C++ on my own. Back in the day before the internet I first learned both Windows programming and Windows Device Driver programming (on my own from manuals; there was no internet) and wrote a printer device driver. It was not successful only because Hewlett Packard developed a newer printer that made the device driver obsolete.

I have been doing much C# lately. I am learning HTML and CSS. I have many ideas for websites and I already have some domain names.

I am a bit embarrassed to admit that I joined this community because I was looking for a forum to ask questions about CSS. I did not realize this website is for students; not until after I joined.

Something I consider important is system design. I often see beginners jumping into coding without understanding the benefits of design before coding. Beginners should understand what requirements definition is. College students I believe are properly instructed about that. And employers want developers that can develop designs. They need to be able to meet with non-technical users to get requirements and such.

Something else I know from experience is the difference between new development and maintenance. I think entry-level developers are more likely to get boring and frustrating maintenance work. Am I wrong or do many people getting jobs from here get maintenance positions in the beginning? When I say maintenance I mean someone that modifies and/or fixes code developed by others; sometimes many others.

1 Like

HI @SamHobbs !

The forum is not just for students.
You will find all types of developers on the forum.
You can still ask questions about css.

You can make a separate post in the Career Advice section and ask.

1 Like

Hey I am Isha Jack from Trinidad, I am studying coding for awhile but I am not sure if front end or coding jobs are high in demand in my country. I will like to learn more so I will know what to learn to become a front end developer because every country have different requirements . Is there anyone from Trinidad here that can help me?

1 Like