What do I do If want to practice Code? And how?

Hello, when I learn how to code it just gets in my head through one ear and out through the next, I think this isn’t good to do as a developer and I need help. So I thought about practicing because as most of us know, practice makes perfect! But, when I searched online on how to practice I found a lot of useless videos on YouTube instead talking about either best places to learn code or old Pewdiepie and other Youtuber’s videos. Someone please help me, I want to learn how to memorize and practice code, any hints, tips, advice would help :slightly_smiling_face:.

Thanks!

Ahh, there’s quite your first mistake. When you want to be a coder, the first thing to learn is NOT to memorize. You might want to memorize boilerplates, but there are snippets out there that you can use. We are in 2020, and there is Google. Coding is one of the skills that also includes you to have a Googling skill. Yes, Googling is a skill. Searching for the right thing is harder than just typing in random characters. As of learning it, it all depend on you and how comfortable you are with different types of environment. There is FCC, there is also KhanAcademy, and there is also CodeCademy. All of them are free, except for Codecademy have a free version. You can choose which one is best for you. I usually use FCC and KhanAcademy, because sometimes the other helps me understand a piece of code better.

2 Likes

@Catalactics Thanks for the advice! :laughing: I will do that!

1 Like

@Catalactics Sorry, one quick question, what can I use snippets for? :thinking:

Here let me show you… You see, when you start a new HTML, you have to declare all of these <!DOCTYPE html> and many more. But with snippets, just type in the trigger characters and voila it does it for you. Here’s an example:

Look at how fast and easy it is. I made myself a custom Boilerplate Snippets so I have all of the CDNs for all the libraries I used. I personally used VS Code, because it already have Emmet. But snippets are also available on other text editors.

Thanks!, now I understand :smiley:

Focus on using what you learned in tutorials to create a small project. The best way to learn is by doing. Doing the projects here on freeCodeCamp is a good example, like the tribute page, or product landing page. I suggest going through the lessons on freeCodeCamp in order and learn with the intention of eventually building projects that are on there. This is what I’m currently doing and I’m doing the calculator project right now. Just remember it will take patience and the key to coding is knowing how to find information and read documentation carefully, and know how to ask for help when appropriate. You won’t memorize everything because there’s too much info out there. Instead, coding is about knowing how to find the right information. It took me a while to understand this alone so just remember to keep trying!

3 Likes

I agree with @willardp808, first you learn the basics, and then always try to get yourself to a little project. It doesn’t need to be fancy or nice, it just needs to motivate you to learn more and do more. because Actually, you learn A LOT more by doing more projects than just learning it. Projects are the key, it will force you to try something new and eventually learn how to fix it the hard way. That’s how I get to learn a lot of HTML, CSS, SASS, JS, jQuery. Throughout my learning I did almost 10 projects. The key is to learn 10%, Do projects 90%.

2 Likes

Hi @Lewis2!

You want to build things. Learning to code for the sake of coding is fine if you you want a hobby. It’s fun and there’s nothing wrong with it :slight_smile:

If your goals is to be professional developer, you need to build things. Don’t worry about memorizing, that will come with time and experience. I have been developing for 13+ years now. A couple weeks ago I could not get the syntax right for a for loop in a language I hadn’t used recently. Guess what? Google. On to the next problem.

Here’s my favorite analogy for this:

You are hiring someone to make a custom chair for you. You look at chair-maker resumes and decide to interview two people.

The first candidate arrives and tells you they’ve spent the last 30 years learning how to use all available hammers, saws, drills, and can even tell you the chemical make up of most modern nails and screws. They have certificates from all the best schools and a degree in Wood Science. Wow. Very cool. Very smart.

The second comes in and shows you pictures of the 10 latest chairs they designed and built for other customers.

Who do you hire?

The point, of course, is that many new coders and developers focus too much time (in my opinion) on learning the latest new tool or language. I’ve heard “Which language should I learn next?” far too many times. If you’re doing it for fun, go for it! I’ve spent many hours learning languages and tools that had a low “return” on my professional career so far. Just be clear on where you’re spending your time!

If your goal is to get a job, build stuff. Choose a (mainstream) language - javascript is fine - and stick with it until you have a few projects and can speak intelligently about decisions you made while building it.

2 Likes

Thanks! That’s a lot of wise words. Will do! :wave:

Neat! Thanks a lot! I wanna start making more projects then, where can I get Ideas?

Anywhere. What’s something that would make your life a little bit easier?

What is a problem you wish someone else would solve for you?

Do it yourself.

If you really can’t come up with anything, find an open source projects to contribute to.