What does "forking a CodePen pen" mean? **RESOLVED**

I am just starting the tribute page and I really cannot wrap my head around a few things. I have only just started but I have questions already as I don’t quite understand:

The guidelines for the tribute page says at the bottom:
“You can build your project by forking this CodePen pen. …” - I assume this will test my code and by fork it means merge it in some way with my code so that I can run it and test my code and it will be ticked off when I sufficiently fulfill the criteria. When I press fork nothing happens do I have t put the provided link somewhere specifically for it to be available to test my code. I hope this is understandable it doesn’t help that I don’t fully understand what it wants me to do to be able to test. Link to code above (very basic as I dont understand the question I have asked and would like to know I can test properly before I start). I think it fulfills the criteria for user story #1 but i could be wrong again.

User Story #1: My tribute page should have an element with a corresponding id=“main”, which contains all other elements.

Any help much appreciated thanks you for reading.

To fork a pen you must have a codepen account. do you have one?

For codepen, forking its like github cloning to say.

I have account yes but when i press on fork the screen just flashes nothing happens. I think I’m doing it wrong if im honest but I dont know what it is im doing wrong

As you can see i have no problems in forking that example pen

1 Like

if i go on profile and forks the fork does show when i run the test it gives me the following error :
AssertionError: expected null to not equal null.
I think I’m doing it wrong or I just don’t understand properly. I dont know if this is because I have not set it up correctly or if I do not fulfil any criteria. I have a main with main id so i thought the first one would at least be ticked off but its given that error above

Brilliant! I placed the link contained in the fork in a script tag at the top of my code and it now appears and tests cases as Intended. Thank you for the assistance I have a lot to learn it would seem.

Just a quick question. In order to get the test box on my pen like in the screenshot did i just have to put the script tag with link or would this only work if it is forked? It is now forked I just want to understand better thank you

you also need to add this lib:
https://cdn.freecodecamp.org/testable-projects-fcc/v1/bundle.js

Thats the one I have at the top i think but slightly different link I have:

I assume they are the same

sorry I didnt post the link only just noticed. Im making solid progress now but for the following story:
User Story #7: I should see an a element with a corresponding id=“tribute-link”, which links to an outside site that contains additional information about the subject of the tribute page. HINT: You must give your element an attribute of target and set it to _blank in order for your link to open in a new tab (i.e. target="_blank").
I think I have done it correctly but something is wrong somewhere. Target blank seems to work as it opens in a new window but this wont pass. My code has changed link as i started it all again link is:

any help much appreciated.

Hi, I’ve changed your thread title to describe your problem more clearly. Descriptive titles, such as “Why does my function return undefined?”, are more likely to elicit helpful responses than a meaningless url.

1 Like

Ok thank you for all the help I did think my topic wasnt described very well but I was unsure where to begin. I took advice from others and broke it down to steps one by one and have made some progress. Although I understand what is meant by forking now my issue is getting story 8 to work it works correctly but it wont tick it

I shall mark this resolved as the issue i now have is different. Ill have a proper search around first and if i cannot find anything ill make another post. thanks again for the help today.

I read all this, I used CodePen to do my tribute page, I have had a GitHub account for awhile now, but I still don’t get forking. You aren’t alone.

1 Like

I didnt realise that the tester was only a link i thought it would add it to my code automatically now I get I needed to add the link in a script tag.