What is your study method for Free Code Camp?

I’ve been told that FCC should be used more as a guide, rather than a definite place to learn everything web-dev. So, I was wondering how do people use FCC to learn web-dev exactly?

For instance, if you’re on the curriculum part that teaches about a specific CSS topic, do you google various resources about that specific topic? Say you’re learning about CSS declarations, how to write it and how to link a css declaration to an HTML element through ID values, do you go googling how it works to learn from other sources or is the FCC explanation sufficient? If so, what other places do you use, besides FCC as an alternate resource for learning web-dev? And how often do you use them along FCC?

1 Like

I’ve been told that FCC should be used more as a guide, rather than a definite place to learn everything web-dev.

Yeah, I think of it more as a framework to get through a lot of basic topics and at the end you have a pretty respectable basic knowledge of a MERN stack.

For instance, if you’re on the curriculum part that teaches about a specific CSS topic, do you google various resources about that specific topic?

Yes and no. I think people can get paralyzed with the “I don’t want to move on until I know this completely” mentality. But yeah, I took some little side trips to look at the MDN documentation or look at a blog post or Stack Overflow or youtube video to understand something when I needed. But I also didn’t want to get bogged down so if I felt I at least had a basic understanding of the lesson, I would move on. If it was something that I wanted to know better, I had (have) a little notepad where I would jot down things I wanted to explore more deeply and I would come back to that from time to time if I had a spare hour or two some weekend and look those up. But I do think it is important to keep moving.

No one understands all this stuff on the first pass. It’s more important to understand the basic concepts, know what is possible, and know how to find the answers when you need them.

4 Likes

Hey @marlonaviz!

In my opinion, there is no one place to learn everything on web developement or any other topic in tech for that matter. There is a lot of great content out there including FCC but you will always learn from multiple sources and through your own practicing.

Here are some of my go to links for web dev.

Happy coding!

2 Likes