When can I start look for jobs?

Hi, I’m Ângelo, I start learning web development four months ago, but I don’t know when to start looking and applying for my first job. Can you help me?

I wouldn’t even consider it before you finish the first 3 certifications. Really the first 6 are better. And really, it’s after that, after you have spent some time building some personal projects and learn some new libraries.

But it’s a crap shoot. But the more you learn, the better your odds.

At the risk of more shameless self-promotion, here is a doc where I wrote my thoughts on getting the first job.

2 Likes

once you have aquired a framework, I would say. In fcc curriculum that would be after the third certificate at a minimum

that doesn’t garantee you have enough knowledge, but you may start a portfolio, put out some projects

the reality, job hunting is a skill to learn too, and the sooner you start the more time you have to learn - you also need a balance, because you also need to have learned enough to attract potential employers

do all the projects available in the curriculum, including the Take Home projects in the Interview Prep section, and ask for feedback for each one, for example here in the #project-feedback subforum, do your own projects, ask for feedback for those too, and put them in your portfolio

1 Like

thank you, this helps a lot.

Thank you very much, I will finish the certifications and read your doc.

Besides what others have mentioned, it would be a good idea to have spend some time on organizing your resume and tried applying for internships. Getting some early exposure on job hunting and possibly have some intern experience on your resume helps a long way.

1 Like

I think there are 2 answers:

From a technical perspective:
I think after you finished the second certificate.

From a mental perspective: NOW. Your first applications will be shitty. Don’t waste them on the good jobs you really would love to do. Getting a job is a skill, a very hard one. It starts with making the right connections, writing a good introduction, selling yourself, screening the company and their values etc.

People procrastinate a lot, because getting rejected for a job feels like getting rejected as a human being.

4 Likes

Yeah, but how I make the right connections?

twitter, meetups, linkedin, github

find events and conferences, and mingle

reach out to people that have a job that interest you and invite them out for (maybe virtual these days) coffee, and ask them how the job is, what they are doing, how they arrived there

2 Likes

Yeah, what ieahleen is talking about, those were vital to me.

The meetup situation is weird right now because of covid. There are fewer of them, but the ones that remain are usually virtual meaning that you actually have access to more of them. Check meetup dot come and for facebook groups.

LinkedIn is a good place, make sure to fill out as much as you can. Keep your bio short so recruiters and other people can quickly read and see what kind of person you are.

Write a little introductory message you can send out to people explaining who you are , your goals, etc. Start messaging now after doing the first certificate and working on the second so they can give you tips on how to help.

Also look up job requirements around your area to see what to focus on. Don’t get too caught up on the tutorials, get to building and learn from there. You’ll get frustrated but it’s all about the learning process.

Thank you guys so much. All of this helps a lot.