Where to go for practice?

Hi all, first time poster here. I started using this site a few days ago because I have been unemployed for a few months, and figured I should maybe use the time to learn a new skill. Having always had an interest in coding, but working mainly in construction and oilfield, I never had the chance to learn it. So far I like the lessons… I have made it through the basic HTML and basic CSS lessons so far, working on applied visual design. My question is this: where can I actually go to practice what I am learning on a tutorial level? These lessons so far hit on each topic once then move on, and knowing myself the way I do, I will not maintain the knowledge unless I can repetitively use it and see my common mistakes. Thanks for the advice in advance :slight_smile:

you could try starting the projects, as you learn stuff you can apply it

or, just do your own small project with the stuff you are learning

oh okay, I haven’t looked into the projects yet, I’ll see what those are like, thanks :slight_smile:

HI Baynne,

I would definately jump ahead and take a look at the projects. Even if its just to look and try to even start them, with what you picked up! I prefer learning by doing and this approach got my ‘re-motivated’ at a couple of points.

Be aware though, not having done the whole course can lead to frustration when trying to comeplete the projects…I ended up doing the project twice: once as I way going along, and then again after I had completed the curriculum!

All the best!

That makes sense, I will give it a go :slight_smile:

A few questions:
Do you have a text editor? (Visual Studio Code is nice, Atom, Sublime, Notepad++, even Notepad)
Can you set up an .html page? (just save a text file as .html)
Can you set up a .css page? (just save a text file as .css)
Can you link them up? (put them in the same folder, and add <link rel=‘stylesheet’ type=‘text/css’ href=[putthe name of the css file here]>

To open the page, just go to your Windows explorer and double click it. The browser will open it right up.

Now you can make your own sites and play around with everything you learned. Once you learn JavaScript, you can put that in there, too.

1 Like

I can’t beleive I didn’t think of any of that. When I was a kid I use to make mock website on my computer, which didn’t have internet, using this method. Thanks lol

1 Like