Why are we learning html and css?

`HELLO TO ALL,

I AM SO CONFUSED AND FRUSTRATED BECAUSE I THOUGHT LEARNING HTML AND CSS IS THE MUST THINGS TO KNOW WHEN CREATING A WEBSITE BUT I DISCOVERED WEBSITES LIKE WIXS, WORDPRESS, AND OTHER MAKES THIS PROCESS SO EASY WHICH IS GOOD BUT THEN WHY WE HAVE TO LEARN HTML CSS AND JS TO CREATE A WEBSITE???

I WAS SO PUMPED AND ALL BUT NOW IM LOST TRACK AND NEED HELP.

CHEERSPreformatted text

Because most programming requires coding, and most programming does not involve producing basic websites of the type Wix etc. allow non-technical users to generate. Most programming isn’t building websites, full stop.

FCC mainly teaches web development, and HTML/CSS are a standard thing to teach first and are extremely useful. JS is a programming language useful far beyond websites.

Also you don’t need to shout.

4 Likes

I guess i’m just so confused with this whole concept.

SORRY for shouting.

Hey there,

so when you walk down to the center of your city,
you will see some restaurants.

Although you could go to the restaurant (Wix etc.) every day,
it’s probably also a good idea to learn some basic cooking.

If you need something simple fast, you go to the restaurant.
If you have more time and want to eat a custom dish, you learn cooking.

7 Likes

Website generating services help people with no programming knowledge create simple websites from templates. If your goal is just to be able to build a website for yourself, then you don’t need to learn how it works, just like you don’t need to be a mechanic to drive a car.

Learning web development allows you to make web applications that can’t be generated from a template. It allows us to build tools like Wix and Wordpress.

2 Likes

I taught myself html using Blogger back in the day. Now, most sites really push templates and don’t allow for much customization. So, why html and CSS? It helps introduce basic coding concepts. A lot of what html and CSS cover is expanded upon in JS. The importance of it also depends on why you’re taking the lessons here.

If you go into web design, it helps you learn to code from scratch. A client will hire you because they want a professional looking website. What Wix and many hosting sites offer is not professional or personal - it’s not catered to an individual company. That’s why they hire developers.

If you’re looking to get a job with a company, it won’t go very well if during a technical interview you ask for a template to help you code. They want you to show that you understand and can implement the concepts you’ve been taught without help. Finally, learning code opens up more possibilities for design than what a site like Wix can offer.

2 Likes

There’s a TON of reasons, good ones mentioned above, but really the key is that IT IS JUST A STEPPING STONE!

Programming is a never ending path of learning and growth, HTML/CSS nowadays is usually just the first step.

1 Like

Hey thanks to all for your replies. It did really helped me to keep going and motivated me. Be safe.

Cheers again.

2 Likes

How do you think the web templates on wix and wordpress were created? They used html css and javascript.

If all you want to do is make a simple website then sure you can use wix or wordpress. freeCodeCamp is for people that want to learn to program and write software. What are your actual goals?

I work as a freelancer in my future

1 Like

What to be ultimately full-stack dev.

You will need html, css and js in that case, just keep learning it, even if it doesn’t make sense immediately as to why you are learning certain things it will all fall into place eventually. Learning web development is a long process.

Yep everyone starts from somewhere. Thank you replying and your time appreciate ya.