Advice about becoming a front end developer

I want to become a front end developer , but not heavily on coding with Javascript or React stuff (though I learnt a good deal and can do it if have to). But my question is what type of front end developer is it that creates cool animations like what people do on codepen? Is it more skewed towards design and UI? Should I search for jobs with titles “UI front end developer”? What specific skill set should I have? Thank you

2 Likes

There’s not much you can do, including animations, without JavaScript.

Actually, if you’re looking simply to do animations (leaving out interactivity, or complex functionality), it’s more a “hybrid designer” position. That can all be done via CSS. It isn’t often done, and it isn’t always easy, but it is an option.

Pearson Media has a decent PDF on the subject, CSS Animations and Transitions.

2 Likes

A purely html/css position doesn’t exist anymore because front end developers need to know javascript in order to work with other developers to create a product.

It’s like hiring someone to only decorate a cake but they have no idea how to bake or do anything else.

1 Like

Look into Ui/UX designer. They do a lot more sketches and research than coding. With pure html and css, you probably cant get a paid job. Maybe internships… It is definitely more skewed towards design and UI. Maybe taking some courses on Udemy regarding UI and UX will help, because you will have to know different technologies for UI/UX

1 Like