Burned out physician starting something new

Hey all! I’ve been working as a physician for about 6 years now, and have, for various reasons, completely burned out. Taking some time off and wanted to try out coding. I studied biomedical engineering in college and really enjoyed programming in Matlab, did a little bit of C++ about 20 years ago and thought it was fun.

I honestly don’t know if I could transition into another career at this point, but I’m willing to try to learn something different and give it a shot. At the very least I’m gonna learn a new skill.

So today’s the day I start with lesson one. I just have to put it out there to generate some accountability for myself, or I’m worried I’ll quit.

Thanks!

2 Likes

Hi Scott. Whether it leads to a career change or not, welcome (back) to coding. If you feel like social interaction will help keep you engaged and on track, I recommend getting involved in a developer learning community. Whether that’s freeCodeCamp or another group, spend some time answering questions (you’ll be able to do this within your first couple days!) and asking questions. Consider us all your classmates.

3 Likes

Hi Scott. Welcome to the freeCodeCamp club!

The resources on the site are really great. You may even find that some of your old programming knowledge comes back to you after you get started. I think coming from a medical background actually makes you a unique programmer. Data analysis is quite the rage these days (not sure if you’re into that) and I’m sure your medical background could tie in nicely. But if you’re completely trying to get away from medicine, that’s cool too. There are so many industries to explore.

Happy coding. Hope to see you around!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 182 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.