C# & career advice

HI everyone. I have been talking about my coding issues on this forum for a while now and have gotten good help. So I appreciate it. That said, I need some C# advice because I’m narrowing down a bootcamp between JS, Adnroid and C#. The C# is because I like the syntax and want to get good at Unity for game development.

So I would like some advice on good camps, and where people who know (or code it for a living) C# got started w/ it.

Thanks!

I’d “skip a step” and ask yourself what you want to do after the bootcamp and provide that sort of goal.

As the 3 options you’ve given have different specifics to it, and thus go into different job markets. There’s some overlap, like you could use C# to build a Unity game and ship it on mobile, but things would be focused still on the game itself, and less on the fact it runs on Android (thanks Unity)

There’s also other factors, like have you looked at the job market for the sort of goals you’re looking at? It’s possible there are more mobile developers than game developers, or web developers or similar. Similarly you could use C# for .NET, and get into that rather than Unity development.

There isn’t a right choice, but I’m sure you have an idea of a longer term goal, that can help you pick a bootcamp. :slight_smile:

1 Like

There is a lot to consider yes. o be honest though, I hope to stick w/ C# for the variability of its code. In other words, I’m hoping not to be pigeon holed into doing backend work only after committing myself to it. Because I can also build apps in Xamarin and then obviously games in Unity.

But the “market” might only want me to build peoples things lol. Because that’s what its popular for. Which isn’t fair but I feel like I can still get hired as an app dev through Xamarin etc. Decisions indeed.

1 Like

Ultimately the market for jobs reflects what companies are willing to pay for. You might love what you end up doing, but if you can’t find anyone to pay for what you love, then you’ll have a tough road/choices to make.

I believe as long as you understand the pros and cons of the choices your making when you make them you can at least avoid regret later. It might be tougher to go into C# due to less jobs, but if that is what you want to do then you’ll just know you have a few less chances job wise.

However, if you go in knowing that, you can focus on those jobs much more and hopefully get something doing what you love, and its overall a win-win :smiley:

I think C# aligns with what you like, and there is always job market availability due to the prevalence of .NET related jobs.

Generally game development can be a tough industry to break into and sustain due to the nature of the product, but you can always “hone your skills” building games while looking for C# related jobs as well. There isn’t really anything from stopping you from making games at any time with C# or otherwise as well, so I wouldn’t consider it a “closed door” if you don’t get a game dev job.

Plus game development is a lot of work and a grid, having it more as hobby might make it more enjoyable haha.

I don’t have any specific info on C# bootcamps specifically. Just a word of warning, bootcamps of all kinds (not only C#) vary dramatically in quality so I’d do a good amount of research on what they offer, and how much they cost. The last thing you want is to spend a bunch of $ and not learn enough relevant skills. But if the cost is reasonable, and the bootcamp could help you with placement it might be well worth it.

Good luck, keep learning keep building :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Well I’m not planning on trying to make the next Horizon West so don’t worry lol. This is a little personal because I’ve wanted to work in games since I was a kid and actually had a failed start up back in 2013 w/ an ex lead artist from Zyngas Boston office. I don’t know why we at least didn’t produce a prototype TBH. It was a chunk of luck I didn’t take enough advantage of lol.

Having said that, I need to connect to more pros and actually have a career, and although several languages can get me that, C# is how I want to get there. I hope I don’t end up getting stuck building too many back end inventory systems lol.

I learned C# and Unity at https://www.compuscholar.com/ and I think they are good courses, with a lot of hands-on projects, but as a fair warning, neither course is free ($25 USD each) and Unity projects require a lot of storage space, are memory intensive, and load for a few minutes.

Well Unity in general is hard to learn. In a lot of different ways. And everyone online who has a a tutorial (or tries) to explain how to do something, is either missing something, over complicates the explanation or you need to know some coding or the UI already going in. Those are my issues at least. I stopped at hit boxes and colliders and some C# lol. That was it.

That’s true. I have worked in the past on web apps with C# and ASP.NET and C# is a cool language. Coming up in 2000, it has continued to maintained itself inspite of other languages popping over the years.
C# is a general purpose programming language used in web apps, desktop apps, mobile apps, games, VR these days etc. C#-ASP.NET also has many jobs as I have seen, as much as there are in other web development stacks. But since other backend frameworks have sprung up, those are more in demand these days than C#. Just like how PHP is an old language used for the web but still continues to have many jobs. Coz the organizations who have been using these languages still use those. They don’t feel the need to switch. And, surprisingly, there are many such organizations. But C# has developed even more over the years and is now used more for games, VR and so on. Job wise other companies also hire C# developers just coz its a modern OO programming language, if you see this job description -

For learning, there is always this resource:

But another one would be

He is has been more of a C# ASP.NET developer and explains to the point. Courses are paid though.

Also for some projects (including games):

This topic was automatically closed 182 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.