Examples of what I do every day as a front-end developer (with 5 years experience)

This is great! Keep it up

1 Like

This blog is really awesome. I love how short each post is, yet it still gives a good idea what a front-end dev actually does. I hope every aspiring developer reads it, even if they donā€™t understand it.

Also, Introspection looks sweet.

1 Like

@ver2point0 @Magwit @jw56578 @PortableStick Thanks a ton for the encouragement! gives me a lot of motivation to keep going. Glad itā€™s enjoyable and easy to understand for you - hopefully it stays that way going forward :smiley:

New post - enjoy. let me know if anything is confusing or if you want to know more about a certain aspect of my workflow.

Awesome, thanks for doing this! I started reading through and got kind of confused, until I realized that the newer posts were on topā€¦ maybe you could organize it a little bit more and add a navigation or something?

@IsaacAbrahamson Good idea - Iā€™ll put something in to help out with that.

1 Like

hey mien, I like what you have done so far pretty neat. Also a nice website to showcase skills.

1 Like

@ozymandias547, this blog is great. Please keep adding to it up as long as you can stand it. Itā€™s interesting and useful even if you donā€™t post every day, so donā€™t be afraid to take a break and pick it back up a few days or weeks later. For most of us actually working through the FCC Front-End track, at least the more specialized stuff is going over our heads, so itā€™s not really necessary that we follow a plot thread from one day to the next. With the accompanying text youā€™re providing, a ā€œrandom sampleā€ approach would still be tremendously helpful.

Assuming I read it correctly, I appreciate your assessment that the FCC Front-End cert might/should be sufficient for employment as a junior dev. Thatā€™s very encouraging news, considering how many hours a lot of us are putting into this. Itā€™s great that FCC maps out a path through the concepts and technologies we need to learn, but itā€™s even better to get a third-party assurance that the path actually leads where we want to go!:grinning:

2 Likes

@webdevjeffus Really appreciate your perspective. Iā€™ll try to add a decent amount of code snippets.

FCC curriculum is really good, and definitely helps with the ramp-up to a front-end job. It is perfect in conjunction with side projects, free CS courses online, coding challenges, etc. However, when it comes time to needing an actual job, those learning by themselves have a deficit. Hiring managers think, ā€œThis guy may have holes in his knowledge, or may not be completely committed to the career because they didnā€™t get through a barrier of entry like a CS degreeā€. This is all crapā€¦ because some of the BEST programmers are self-taught, but this is not how hiring managers see it unfortunately.

This is overcomeable thoughā€¦ To me, the clincher to actually landing a job after a lot of studying is a mentor in the industry with sufficient experience who will ultimately recommend you (and get a nice bonus referral hopefully). This will be the fastest way to get into a job. My cousin did that for me, and Iā€™m eternally grateful to him - and I was happy to win him $1.5k bonus (which he bought me a $50 steak with :smiley: ) Good times!

1 Like

I did have an idea last year which I built out (then took down because of low traffic) - it was a platform to help connect self-taught developers with mentors, who benefit through referral bonuses. Unfortunately, I donā€™t think there are enough willing experienced developers out there to fill up a platform like thatā€¦ but maybe Iā€™m just bad at getting the word out, lol.

Meanwhile, forums like this really help out.

This is brilliant! Itā€™s great to get an insight into not just your day to day tasks, but also how all these technologies that many of us new to coding have only ever heard of, are actually used. Absolutely loving the snapshots well! Thanks for sharing!

1 Like

Hey guys, another post today. Itā€™s a difficult subjectā€¦ managing git repositories and releasing code. Hard to explain concisely, but at least shows you stuff to study (bash scripts, git etc.)

Todayā€™s post is up. Added a little navigation to the blog so you can get around more easily. Hope it helps!

How many people would be interested in a livestream occasionally? ( Like this reply if youā€™d be interested )

12 Likes

New post yaā€™llā€¦ Talking about analytics - the topic is really deep but i tried to keep it at the surface level. Let me know if you want to hear about other parts of it.

1 Like

Another post about getting prepped for a release. Enjoy!

1 Like

New article guys! Last week was super busy with releases and generating tests, but hopefully iā€™ll be back to semi-daily blog posts

1 Like

New post! hope this is still helping people.

2 Likes

Wow, this is awesome. Thank you for this insight.

That feel when you find out about this site after spending $100 on a wordpress site (hosting mainly)ā€¦