How did you discover programming

Hello there Campers,

Just a little discussion I want to start to see how most of us discovered the art of Programming. It would be really nice to know how you guys discovered programming and how long it took you to pursue it. I discovered programming when I got exposed to Linux. And I just immediately Love how programming can look like. It’s like art. Anyways, what’s your story…

Here’s a little meme:
Relatable?

My dad bought us an Apple IIe and after I got bored playing the same games over and over again I decided I wanted to make my own.

And speaking of Linux, my first exposure to that was downloading the Slackware floppies and installing it on my i386 so I didn’t have to go into the CS computer lab to do my homework on the Solaris SPARCstations. I’ve never looked back since.

1 Like

For a long time, I was despairing of ever finding something I could learn to get a job and even sometimes cried myself to sleep. I didn’t want to have an ordinary job in fast food or something and I wanted to work from home.

I was attending a business class at a high school when I heard some kids talking about coding and how difficult and horrible it is. I didn’t know what coding was but I quickly developed a negative attitude towards it because I had heard those kids.

Later, that day, I asked my father what coding was and he explained it to me. It sounded so drab and colorless that I went “nope, not for me”.

A few days later, the wife of my coding uncle told me some more about coding and said that if I ever decided to use coding for my future, my uncle would be glad to help. I was like, “Thank you, but…I don’t really like it…” (Of course I didn’t say that.)

I told my mother nothing about my coding conversations, but one day she was watching a Youtube video. In this video, the host said that every child should learn a little about coding because computers are the future. Than, he told about freecodecamp. I discussed the benefits with my mother and fell in love with the idea.

After working with code for a little while, I fell in love with coding…well, maybe not Javascript but I’ll still learn it. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like