How to format resume and advice on how to get first job?

Hey guys,

I am trying to get my first job and I wanted to ask is how I am formatting my resume okay I downloaded a template from Sho Dewan and made edits. Right now I have it formatted in this order:

Full Name
phone email portfolio GitHub

Professional Summary

Technical Skils: Premiere Pro, Autodesk Maya, Canva, UI, UX, Figma, Framer, HTML5, CSS3, Bootstrap, Material UI, Tailwind, JavaScript, Vue.js, React, Redux Toolkit, Node.js, Express.js, MongoDB, Mongoose, PHP, Laravel, SQL, Git, GitHub

Projects
Project 1 (completed MERN Material UI project)
Bullet Point
Bullet Point
Bullet Point
Project 2 (currently working on Laravel Vue Inertia Tailwind MySQL)
Bullet Point
Bullet Point

Work Experience (only have retail experience)
Job 1
Bullet Point
Bullet Point
Bullet Point
Job 2
Bullet Point
Bullet Point
Bullet Point
Job 3
Bullet Point
Bullet Point
Bullet Point

Education and Other
CS50 Intro SQL Cert Jan 2024
Masters Graduation focused on web development 2023

I have 3 projects right now on my portfolio.

1. My current project where users can create decks of flashcards and study them using games. Right now users can create an account (thanks to Laravel Breeze), all CRUD functionalities for decks , can create groups and add decks to the groups, all CRUD functionalities for groups, a dashboard that shows all decks and groups, search in dashboard and search in groups. Right now I am working on the quiz component and then move on to 2 creating games to help study. Learning Tailwind and Vue Composition API when before I only learned Options API through a class. Took a class on Laravel but felt like I didn’t fully grasp the lessons so decided to dive into a project to learn/practice.

2. A blogging platform where people can write blogs. Can create an account. All CRUD functionalities with blogs, CRUD functionalities for comments, follow and unfollow users, feed to see posts from people you follow, search page. There’s still more functionalities I would like to add this project and I plan on going back to it to improve it. It was also the first time working with React, React toolkit, JWT tokens, Material UI. It was also my first full stack project.

3. A basic book tracker app that I did when I quickly looked at TypeScript. Still need to learn it better but this was a small project to try.

Visually my projects aren’t the best but also not so bad.

I have been reading that it’s hard for people to get their first job. It makes me worried. I have also applied to internships, early career, jobs that I feel like I meet the requirements, and jobs that I don’t meet the requirements. Jobs in state and out of state. I would appreciate any advice. Thanks.

Hi @mish

First off, regarding your resume format, it looks like you’ve structured it quite effectively. Let me share this guide here for further assistance.

As for your concerns about breaking into the industry, it’s completely normal to feel apprehensive, especially when it comes to landing your first job. The industry can indeed be competitive, but your proactive approach, diverse skill set, and willingness to take on challenges put you in a strong position.

In terms of advice, here are a few suggestions

• Don’t underestimate the power of networking, network more with people in the field.

• Keep expanding your skill set and staying updated on industry trends.

• When applying for roles, make sure to tailor your resume and cover letter to each position you’re interested in.

2 Likes

Thank you for your answer. i do have some questions:

1. How do you recommend networking?

I’m clueless on this one. I have seen people mention Linkedin but I prefer not to have linkedin. Are there other ways to network?

1. What skills do you recommend? When I’m done working on my projects I was thinking of continuing my learning. I’m interested in Python, Django, React Native, Next.js, and Nuxt.js. I also want to re-learn TypeScript and try it in a bigger/more complex project.