How would you return to programming after a long time?

Hello campers, I “accidentally” took a long break after I burned out of coding 5 months ago. I want to code again, but I don’t know if I should start with a new project or complete one of the dozen I left unfinished, or pick up the book I never finished reading or take a course or a tutorial.

Maybe I am procrastinating by asking but still, from where could I re-start?

It can be hard to pick up an old project, but that can also be good training, having to figure out where things sit - you often have that same feeling when stepping in to code with others. But it really depends on where the projects are, how well you think they were done so far, etc.

I think the important thing is to finish things. It’s probably better to focus on one things and take it to completion, whether it’s your old code on and old project, starting on old project over again from scratch, or starting a brand new project. Pick something and complete it before moving on. You’ll learn more from one completed project more than a dozen incomplete ones. And it becomes a nice portfolio piece.

2 Likes

From someone who took a 6 month hiatus from programming last year, I can tell you that taking some kind of refresher course/tutorial before diving back in will probably save you a lot of frustration.

All depends how much overall experience you have I guess.

1 Like

Hi, thanks for the topic. I was searching related case since yesterday as well. But i think in my case it’s more about continuing to learn code in fcc than continue a project. Because in fact, I was doing a coding project, though it was just a small one, an easy one.

However, since I also work full time now, so I only could focus to the little project I had and had no time or you could say I wasn’t able to organize my time to continue learning on FCC.

And now while the project is done partially, I want to get back on learning but I don’t know where to start. Should I start from the scratch or should I just continue where I left off?

Cause when I’m about to continue, the last lesson I did, which is one month ago, I got my mind blank and need more thinking to recall what I had been doing on that lesson.

So my question is, will it be too much of wasting time to re-learn from the scratch or should I just continue and try to recall the latest lessons I’d learned then the scratches will comeback again eventually or…?

Any advice would be appreciated

Sorry for bad english, if any.

Even if you stopped studying you would still need to use google often to search how you need to use certain methods or new methods or properties and such

For JavaScript, I think it depends on how comfortable you feel with the basic concepts (assign variables, arrays, objects, functions, if statements, loops, and such) and the logic flow of solving things.
For HTML and CSS, it depends on what your feeling is with the main tags, with how to declare css rules and such

You can still try to see how you are with the basics both with a course or a project old or new and see what your feeling with that is.

1 Like

Start from scratch.You will experience that it won’t be tough like when you first learnt to code. But you will jump back to the level of programming you paused before. Because,coding looks tough when you see it for the first time but becomes easier and fun as it continues and programming must be learnt properly with full involvement.

Note: -

Today, programming has vast scope. To Increase the programming skills, as a experience growing in programming field you have to keep update your-self with latest technology. Everything gone be easy.

Suggesion: -

Start carrier with best Web Development Company, in which you want to start any programming language, because best company working environment effects on employ’s development skills. Good environment like good hike on salary, co-operate senior, friendly work environment and many more that tends to motivate the people towards work.

All the best

Last year, I took a 4 month break cause JavaScript made me cry… wish I was kidding lol but yeah, I got super frustrated, felt like I just was…no…getting…it. I spent like 2 weeks on a challenge, was struggling with a project and I just had enough and stopped.

When I got back to it, I thought Id have to start from scratch, but I remembered a lot more than I thought I would…as a matter of fact, I picked up where I left off, and kept moving forward. I think that the break was just what I needed…I was pushing myself hard studying for 10-15hrs a day, and I think every inch of me just had had enough.

Like you I was mostly overwhelmed with the decision of whether to start over, do my projects over, do another course, find another book, etc etc… but I wanted to code and was spending more time with trying to figure out what to do than actually doing something so…I decided to continue the JS challenges and that was that.

I know the phenomen of being “over-booked”: eg there are that new css-features (flexbox, grid) that I must know and my js-oop-knowledge is bad but I must also learn to work with symfony-framework and git is also important and my linux-basis ist really bad…
And suddenly there are 10 books on my table and I have a dozen links with courses in my bookmarks.
As a result I’m jumping from here to there, get nothing done and feel really bad. Besides I have my fulltime-job.

When I become aware of that situation I try to reduce that “books tower”.

Maybe a starting point is to ask yourself: How much time can you spent for learning (realistic)? 2 hours per week? 1 hour per day?

Another questions: which of these books/ courses are most important? e.g. for me linux-knowledge would be nice but it’s not really important, it’s not my daily job.

Another questions: which of these themes (CSS, JS…) or projects or courses do you like most? This is a reasonable question because you will learn most effectively if you’re having fun while learning! I think this is the most important question at all!

Another question: which target is simpler to reach? eg: A course that takes a week or that book with 2000 pages (you may need 2 years to read that). I prefer smaller but realistic targets.

At least there should be one course or one book or one project remaining. Put all the other books in a shelf (out of sight). And ignore all other projects and courses.

Maybe it’s more important to decide for one (realistic) thing (and stick to it) than thinking to long about all the options. Maybe a perfect decision does’t even exist.

2 Likes

Quick follow up, what if you have been out of the coding game for over 4 years or so…?

start from where you left, try doing those last projects again, when you stumble on something refresh on it and keep going. don’t start from the beginning, you already started from the beginning once, you don’t need to do it again, you need to refresh on things tho