I have a business degree, but want to be a software developer. Help!

Hi I have a business degree, but it’s not my passion and I want to be a software developer, I have been teaching myself and have a long way to go.

My question is, is it worth me doing a masters in software development? Or will I be able to just be self taught.

I really just want to be a freelance software developer.

Thanks in advance :blush:

1 Like

It’s just do home project (being your own boss ) when you do programming. What you need is

Internet.
Computer.
House with electricity.
And use your brain of course.

to become a programmer/software developer.

Do you think getting a masters would give me more clients as a freelance?

Hi @Danvandan !

I understand, since you are coming from the business world that masters degrees play a different role there.

But there are tons of stories of successful self taught developers who are actively freelancing.

Here are just a few stories

1 Like

Thank you jwilkins for the sharing those links :blush:

1 Like

Thank you for these links. I am from South Africa myself and also coming from a business degree background.

1 Like

Hi @sechaba92 !

Welcome to the forum!

You and @Danvandan can also check out the FCC podcast where there are tons of episodes about successful self taught developers.

1 Like

thank you!! :slight_smile:

Sechaba92 Are you also thinking of freelancing or working for a company??

I looked into this myself a few years ago and this is my conclusion.

A masters degree is going to take you several years and be extremely expensive. Just to metriculate into the MS program, you’ll need to first complete a fair amount of math and programming undergraduate courses. The graduate level work that you’ll do will be pretty specialized and will be in the area of interest for the tenured professors in the department. It’s going to be much more academic than practical.

I do not recommend a MS as an entry point into a development career.

I’m a very academically inclined person and I changed careers before things like freeCodeCamp (or even paid bootcamps) really existed. When I looked at my options I found that doing a second BS would take me about the same time as an MS, have more broadly useful coursework, and cost 1/3 as much. I did that, but it’s not what I would suggest people look at first these days.

My advice would be to start by seeing how far you can get with self-directed study using tools like freeCodeCamp. You won’t be on your own, this is a large and extremely supportive community that can be with you throughout your journey. The foundations of programming, from “what is a variable” to solving complex problems algorithmically, is knowledge that I recommend anyone have before applying to any type of educational program. You can do that without a classroom environment and it doesn’t matter much which language you start with. If you find that you need the structure of a classroom environment, then I would begin to consider the pros and cons of different programs from for-profit bootcamps to universities.

5 Likes

Hi mate thanks for the replay.

In the UK it will take a year the masters I have looked at and mostly paid by the government.

And I can just jump in even though my undergraduate degree is business.

I would imagine they would just give me abit of a test to demonstrate my knowledge on software development.

So I suppose the above takes out some of the cons.

But what you have said is great advice, so thank you and I will definitely follow it and weigh everything up.

1 Like

I’m inclined to working for a company (preferably a social impact start-up) first to get a better footing before freelancing or starting my own business. I’m coming from a banking background so I’m pretty much starting from scratch. I’d like to build a bit of confidence.