I just updated my portfolio - Is it ready to send out to employers?

Great Job with everything! I like the simple, yet elegant style of your designs. My constructive criticism:

• The “contact” tab on your navbar doesn’t light up when selected the way the other tabs do. But this is simply because the contact section itself isn’t big enough (its just three small animated icons).

• I got to agree with everyone else on the weather app. Make it “stand out” while still upholding to the bullshit professional rules of corporate America. I know it sucks, but you know what sucks even more? Not getting a job because of an F-Bomb on a weather app

• Loved the “Back to the future” design of your clock but please add some instructions. It took me a minute to figure out how to use it.

And again, amazing work.

1 Like

Hello @iamryandnelson

Very good portfolio design and display of work. You actually have more than me though I was able to land a developer I job. (www.slashand.com). I’m redesign it now.

During my phone interviews I was asked if I did anything with Ajax. A contact form in the contact area of your portfolio would be great. I built mine with Angular’s built-in Http. My backend is in PHP. It sends a reply email to the sender and one to the recipient, reply on screen “Thank you for contacting us” and then clear the form.

1 Like

Very fun portfolio @iamryandnelson I like how much time you put into each project if you find some time can you critique my portfolio or some of my projects?
http://tommygebru.github.io/

2 Likes

Excellent portfolio site Ryan and I LOVE the way you did your logo. Really slick.

Coincidentally I checked out your weather app just as it started to rain in my area and I couldn’t help but laugh because the way you phrased it was pretty much exactly as I felt.

1 Like

Thank you @Alanh168. I really appreciate your feedback. I see what you’re saying about the Pomodoro clock. I just added some minute labels to the draggable timescale. Let me know if you think that helps make it more intuitive. I could also add a digital time countdown that displays above the car once the drag has started, but that will take a little more time to implement. I’m not clear about the point about selecting the “Contact” tab and it not displaying the same as the other tabs, though. When I click on it in the header it lights up the same as the others. What browser/hardware are you using so I can try to recreate it?

1 Like

Thanks @vanchisel and congratulations on landing your developer job. I imagine it’s tough to be motivated to work on your portfolio when you’re working as a full-time developer (I’m assuming your dev job is full-time). I appreciate your feedback and btw I really like the language translator on your site :+1:t3: :+1:t3:.

1 Like

Hi @tommygebru, thanks for the feedback. I just sent you a message.

2 Likes

You’re awesome @dlyons :joy:. Thanks for the great feedback :slight_smile:

2 Likes

@iamryandnelson I still feel like its not enough for the pomodoro clock, honestly. I would make a small “instructions” button which, upon being clicked, would make a styled window/box appear containing the instructions themselves. You could even have the rest of the page darken a bit and only display the instructions in full, bright color. Then, when the user either clicks on a close button (or anywhere on the screen), it reverts everything back to normal.

As far as the time countdown above the car goes, I think it’s a good idea. I would make it appear above the car as bolded text but with some opacity. The key is to make it helpful but not intrusive.

Concerning the contact tab, I am using Chrome on 64-bit Windows. I tried it out on other browsers (Firefox and Opera), however, and it works. So it seems that only on Chrome am I having this issue.

1 Like

That’s weird. Everything works in Chrome on my end…
I’ll take another look at the Pomodoro clock and see what I can come up with. I really appreciate your feedback. Thank you :slight_smile:

1 Like

Once you have a place to put the code, it’s pretty easy to port from codepen. Create the directory where you want it to reside. Then you go to codepen and in the lower right corner is “export”. Export it to a zip and unzip it in the directory you want it and that pretty much does it.

1 Like

This looks great. Really gives me something to work toward as I am currently working through the front end development course just now.

If you dont mind me asking were you able to build that purely from what you have learnt on FCC or have you been learning elsewhere as well? Just because at the moment that looks well beyond my capabilities and the portfolio is my next challenge once I complete the tribute page.

Awesome job!

1 Like

Calculator needs a little bit work: I’m not able to do calculations with negative numbers.

1 Like

Perhaps you could change the size of the displayed numbers. I didn’t notice an outcome, because it didn’t fit on the display.

Love your portfolio btw. Looking great.

1 Like

I love it, I did have a problem with the films, the genre dropdown does not show values unless you hover over each. Is that on purpose?

1 Like

It looks really great, I love the design and the logo :slight_smile: I also like how you included the languages used for each project under them.
Your Tic Tac Toe game is great because it’s the first one I’ve seen where I can win every single game :wink:
The only one I have issues with is the Pomodoro clock, I can’t figure out what am I supposed to do to start it?

1 Like

Thanks for the feedback @marchibald92. I really appreciate it. My portfolio page looked much different when I first made it (after the Tribute Page). This is my updated portfolio that I was only able to do after I finished the Front End Developer certification. Having a girlfriend who’s a UI/UX designer and coding with others in my area (see if there are freeCodeCamp Facebook groups near you) played a huge role for me, too. I definitely wouldn’t be where I am without them. If you can connect with other people and learn from them along the way it’ll make a huge difference in your learning.

1 Like

Thanks @Topzie, I appreciate your feedback. You’re right, my calculator doesn’t do negative numbers :confused:. I totally missed that. Thanks for catching it. :smile:

2 Likes

Hi @Radiance7008, thank you for the feedback. I really appreciate it. You’re the second person to report this experience with the movie genres. What software/hardware are you using so I can try to recreate it?

1 Like

Thank you @Luneyandminions, I really appreciate your feedback. I’m planning to make some changes to the Pomodoro clock to see if I can make it more intuitive. You aren’t alone in this experience ;). Until then, drag the time scale to the left to set the timer. You should hear sound effects for when you drag, release, and when the timer expires.

2 Likes