I just updated my portfolio - Is it ready to send out to employers?

Hi Everyone,
I just got my Front End Developer certificate :)! Now I’m putting the final touches on my portfolio page so I can start looking for an internship or apprenticeship. I was hoping some of you might be willing to give some feedback on my updated portfolio site? I’m concerned that I might be leaving something out of the copy… I would be hugely grateful for any critiques you may have.
Thanks in advance and best regards,
Ryan
http://www.iamryandnelson.com

42 Likes

I would take the cussing out of the weather app.

13 Likes

Outstanding! Great design! Your pomodoro clock is super original, so is your tic-tac-toe game, although it’s super easy to beat :wink:

2 Likes

Super great designs, they’re very stylish. The tic tac toe logic might need a bit of tweaking as it doesn’t block any moves.

2 Likes

That looks pretty slick. The only big critique I would have is under the covers you don’t use any headings within your sections. This can be problematic for assistive technologies that use headings for navigation as well as might not impart importance of content to parsers like search engines. I would suggest replacing some of your div’s (like the one holding your name and the about title) with the appropriate level h tag. You can hide headings you don’t want to be visible using .sr-only from bootstrap - that makes it accessible but not obtrusive.

Markup looks well organized, but align=“center” is outdated, favor a class instead.

Make sure your links at the bottom have at least a title attached to say what that element is in case people aren’t familiar or again are using an assistive aid.

Grab Google’s Lighthouse extension for Chrome and run your page through just to pick up some extra tips. You did a really great job of pulling a bunch of different techniques together.

1 Like

How you move your code from codepen to domain. Please explain… I too want to do that

3 Likes

Think it looks great, one of the best I’ve seen on here

2 Likes

I really like your portfolio! Major props to you. Your projects look awesome too. Just the inspiration and motivation I needed to keep pushing forward. If you don’t mind me asking, where did you come up with those movie covers for your movie list site?

Personally, I don’t think the cuss word matters in the weather app, but I guess it depends on what type of company you want to apply for. Developers can be hired in just about any industry. If you’re looking to get into the tech industry (mobile, web, startup, etc), I don’t think anyone would care. That’s just my two cents though.

Keep it up!

1 Like

Thanks @Rufio2031. I appreciate your feedback :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thank you @Gwesolo. That really means a lot :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yes, you are ready to start off for intern or junior position. Just if you wanna nail the job make at least 2 real world apps or websites, that will make you more presentable to employer.

1 Like

Thank you @nikhilpatel87. Your feedback really means a lot. I got most of the minimal movie posters from the artist Chung Kong. The others I found by searching Google. They’re all hard coded. I started that project by using The Movie Database API, but discovered they only allow 40 API calls per 10 seconds, so I ultimately decided the easiest way was to hard code the info.

1 Like

Thank you @mirkoacimovic. I really appreciate your advice.

1 Like

It looks really nice. One problem I noticed is that when scrolling down the portfolio you see the different sections underlined in the top left corner, but it does not underline the ‘About’ section for some reason.

1 Like

Hi @sandy02, I bought my domain name from GoDaddy and I get my web hosting through HostGator. I use Brackets as my code editor (I code on a mac) and FileZilla to upload my code to the web. I probably need to switch from FileZilla to GitHub, I just haven’t done it yet. Here is an article that might help you put it all together.

3 Likes

Thanks for the feedback @lukekrikorian. My ‘About’ section is pretty short and the window for when it gets triggered is narrow. What happens when you click on the ‘About’ tab vs scrolling?

1 Like

Wow! Thanks for the feedback @nhavar. I really appreciate it. The Lighthouse extension is an eye opener. This is definitely helpful. Thanks :slight_smile:!

1 Like

The theory behind removing the profanity is it IS “unprofessional” and although there may be employers who don’t mind it or maybe even relish it, I think it’s a safe bet that it will hurt your chances more often than it will help.

In this case, it’s simply not needed in the app.

1 Like

Thank you for the feedback @QuanchiFootball @Soupedenuit , I really appreciate it. You’re definitely right about my Tic-Tac-Toe game :joy:

1 Like

Thanks for the feedback @Rufio2031. I agree you make a solid point. I was inspired by the award-winning designer Tobias van Schneider. There aren’t many ways to make a weather app stand out (who really cares when virtually every smart phone has one pre-installed). That said, I probably wouldn’t be a good fit at a company that’s going to judge me for leaving it the way it is ;).

2 Likes