I'm losing focus on my journey

Hello everyone, I’ve been a member of FCC not too long ago.

I started my journey around November 2020 (my ultimate goal is to develop apps and websites using react native ).

Although it seems like I’ve been making progress (I’m still learning JavaScript Ajax, fetch and promises).

I’m not really bothered about my progress.

To be sincere, what I’m bothered about is that, I’m coming from a non CS background.

Even though I truly love computer science, (I actually applied to study for computer science, but due to the country I found myself in, I was giving Estate management and valuation and right now, I’m in my 4th year :expressionless: ).

I stay in Nigeria by the way, and even though I’ve heard rumors of self taught developers getting jobs, in my country, the employers still lay emphasis on certification.

My question is, can I study a masters in computer science even though I’m coming from a course which does not relate to computer science? I’ve been trying to self taught on computer science topics from edX and textbooks lately.

I need to ask the right questions so that I won’t waste my Time studying for CS topics, and not getting accepted for masters in computer science.

2 Likes

Yeah, every country is different.

For a point of reference, I was a 47 year old jazz guitarist with a tiny bit of tech, two and a half decades in my past. I became a React Native developer.

I stay in Nigeria by the way, and even though I’ve heard rumors of self taught developers getting jobs, in my country, the employers still lay emphasis on certification.

That may be the case. But remember, you don’t have to get every job, you just need to get one.

My question is, can I study a masters in computer science even though I’m coming from a course which does not relate to computer science?

I’m not sure I understand what you are asking.

Are you asking if it is a good idea? Sure, if that’s what you want. CS is a little different than web dev, but you will learn a lot of great stuff and make a lot of great connections.

Are you asking if it is logistically possible? I don’t know how universities work in your country.

Also, it’s not clear to me what you’re asking in terms of timing. Are you trying to get into a post-Bachelors program, that assumes you have a Bachelors? Do you have a Bachelors in a CS field? Or do you mean a 6-year program that takes you through the Bachelors? Again, I don’t know how universities work in your country.

I need to ask the right questions so that I won’t waste my Time studying for CS topics, and not getting accepted for masters in computer science.

I wouldn’t think that it would be a waste - you’re still learning things. If your goal is to get ready for the CS program then it is probably not ideal. Edx and textbooks are good. I also might talk to the department and see what they thing. I also might find out if they have primary languages that they use (C, C++, Java, Python, etc.) and focus on those for a bit.

1 Like

Howdy!
You should do a roadmap.
Not starting from React Native, but from the technology useful for learning it.
So start learning HTML, CSS, JavaScript, React and after that React Native and Node if you want.

Not everyone ask certificate for working, check out Fiverr if you are self employed or LinkedIn and Stack Overflow for jobs, even remote ones.

Thank you for your honest reply.

Regarding my question, yes I was asking if I could get accepted to study for a post bachelor’s degree, even though I did not study computer science in my bachelor’s degree? I studied estate management and valuation in my bachelor’s degree.

Thanks for your reply.

But I’ve already developed a road map for that.

I’ve been through HTML, CSS and right now, I’m studying JavaScript using Jonas schmedtmann’s course.

I was not forcing you a roadmap, just trying to make an example. If you have one already, that’s fine.

2 Likes

ooh jazz guitarist aye? i knew there was something i liked about you. beside having my same last name :slight_smile:

1 Like

Your advice is useful to me too. thanks