Invitation to contribute to open source project - all welcome!

Update: Project is currently on hiatus as we have a newborn baby at home :slight_smile:

You may have already heard of the Remote Pairing noticeboard I’ve been working on, and may have also heard that others have started contributing to it. Details.

Consider this YOUR formal invitation to participate, too.

It’s not just a Red Panda cohort thing. It’s not just for people that know React and Node. It’s for YOU, too.

If you have ever wanted to contribute to an opensource project but didn’t know where to start, or how to find one that wasn’t already full of productive experts, or one that didn’t have 2,000,000 lines of code already…this is the opensource project you’ve been waiting for!

There are parallel repos for the frontend and backend and both have active issues and a CONTRIBUTING.md file to help you get started.

Feature requests and bug reports are welcome.

We need contributions to documentation, of testing, of React code, or Node/Express/Mongo code, the CSS could likely use a spritz. We need a favicon! Whatever your skill level, there is room for YOU to participate…

There is even a FIRST_PR_CLUB.md file in each repo for those that just want to commit something completely safe, just to learn the workflow!

13 Likes

Awesome! I’ve always wanted try contribute to an open-source project! Thanks @JacksonBates

1 Like

great, i’d like to contribute.

Jump in guys, the more the merrier!

Let me know if you need anything :slight_smile:

I might be able to contribute documentation skills…

Feel free to comment on any of the existing issues to do with documentation. If you don’t know what to write, we can just discuss it a bit in the issues thread. Or open a pull request and we can draft and redraft as much as we need to until we’re happy with it.

2 relatively easy front end issues have just been added for any one that wants to contribute but have been put off by React or all our talk of back end stuff today. Purely css fixes to improve the mobile experience. Get 'em while they’re hot :slightly_smiling_face:

Heu @JacksonBates,

Would love to start to contribute!
I cloned the backend and I can’t run it.
I’ve installed the modules but when I run node server.js or any of the npm start commands I get an error

> pair-backend@1.0.0 start C:\Users\niallma\Desktop\PERSONAL\opensource\pair-backend
> node server.js

module.js:472
    throw err;
    ^

Error: Cannot find module './config.json'
    at Function.Module._resolveFilename (module.js:470:15)
    at Function.Module._load (module.js:418:25)
    at Module.require (module.js:498:17)
    at require (internal/module.js:20:19)
    at Object.<anonymous> (C:\Users\niallma\Desktop\PERSONAL\opensource\pair-backend\config\config.js:4:18)
    at Module._compile (module.js:571:32)
    at Object.Module._extensions..js (module.js:580:10)
    at Module.load (module.js:488:32)
    at tryModuleLoad (module.js:447:12)
    at Function.Module._load (module.js:439:3)

npm ERR! Windows_NT 10.0.10586
npm ERR! argv "C:\\Program Files\\nodejs\\node.exe" "C:\\Program Files\\nodejs\\node_modules\\npm\\bin\\npm-cli.js" "start"
npm ERR! node v7.7.4
npm ERR! npm  v4.1.2
npm ERR! code ELIFECYCLE
npm ERR! pair-backend@1.0.0 start: `node server.js`
npm ERR! Exit status 1
npm ERR!
npm ERR! Failed at the pair-backend@1.0.0 start script 'node server.js'.
npm ERR! Make sure you have the latest version of node.js and npm installed.
npm ERR! If you do, this is most likely a problem with the pair-backend package,
npm ERR! not with npm itself.
npm ERR! Tell the author that this fails on your system:
npm ERR!     node server.js
npm ERR! You can get information on how to open an issue for this project with:
npm ERR!     npm bugs pair-backend
npm ERR! Or if that isn't available, you can get their info via:
npm ERR!     npm owner ls pair-backend
npm ERR! There is likely additional logging output above.

npm ERR! Please include the following file with any support request:
npm ERR!     C:\Users\niallma\Desktop\PERSONAL\opensource\pair-backend\npm-debug.log

I’m using node v7.7.4 & npm v4.1.2

Thanks for the interest.

This project is currently on hiatus as we have a newborn baby at home.

1 Like

hello Jackson,
Is the project still open to contribute?
can we have a discussion for the set up ? would love to whenever you have a chance

Thanks and congrats on the offspring!

sorry, not a native english speaker

I’m taking a break while my folks are visiting, then finishing up a personal project. Should restart pairboard in March.

1 Like