I've passed whole Responsive Web Design challenges and now I am lost

Hi,
I’ve started learning how to code about 6 months ago. I mean I’ve passed 1st tasks around last holiday. Then I’ve skipped couple months and came back with more serious attitude about it. I’ve done all the tasks (around 100-130 of them I guess). Then there was a time to pass the tests like tribute page or survey form. Unfortunately I was not able to pass it, so I rewrote the whole code of the example tribute page but this approach is just a bypass, not a real thing. So I’ve decided to come back to the 1st lesson again with “Hello world” etc. I’ve passed them all again, this time only 3-4 times looking at hints. It was easy this time. So again I am at the “Tribute Page” challenge and I can’t do it. My mind is just blank when I stare at the console lol. You can check here: https://codepen.io/bartosz-spychaa/pen/RwLebMv what I’ve managed to do so far and it just looks pathetic :frowning: What should I learn after I’ve passed all challenges but before trying to pass the last tests? I am trying to use devdocs as a handout but I always seem to miss some character or some id etc. I know I could apply CSS on already written HTML page but creating a proper HTML from a scratch is just difficult for me. I guess the main question is: do I just keep googling and try to pass it by trying/making mistakes and learning from it? Or those tests are just too difficult for me and maybe I should focus on something easier for couple days/weeks?

1 Like

Your first couple projects are not going to be perfect but that’s okay. The important part is that you understand the concepts and lessons that were presented to you (which it looks like you have).

My advice would be to continue on with more projects and maybe revisit this project in a few weeks and see if there’s anything you would make better or can make better. Perfectionism during this learning stage will hinder your progress. Elegant, professional looking outputs come as a result of having more experience dealing with these kinds of projects.

Continue on my friend and if you find yourself questioning what to do. Find some inspiration from #project-feedback. Sometimes a wave of inspiration sparks from seeing other people’s work.

2 Likes

try the beta version, it’s project based so maybe it can help you transition better from learning path to doing projects on your own

1 Like

Could you link it? I’m not sure what you’re talking about…

I just went to JavaScript challenges becuase I don’t want to stand in one place.

Do you mean the next ones like:

• [Build a Survey Form]
  • [Build a Product Landing PageNot Passed]
  • [Build a Technical Documentation PageNot Passed]
  • [Build a Personal Portfolio Webpage

??

Yep those! Also, @ilenia was referring to the updated Responsive Design course. It’s still in beta, but I’m going through it now, and it’s a great experience.

Oh that’s great! I’ll try beta and next tests. Do you think it is smart to spend some time with JavaScript at my level? Or just stick with html-css beta course?

I would stick with HTML/CSS right now and solidify that knowledge. Keep working on different projects and try the beta curriculum

2 Likes

Hi I am stuck at step 55… beta is cool but no more hidden solution (which is better for self improvement). Last 54 steps was easy but I am so stuck at this one. Any pieces of advice?

Hi @Spychu1993

Here is how to post code in the forum

When you enter a code block into a forum post, please precede it with a separate line of three backticks and follow it with a separate line of three backticks to make it easier to read.

You can also use the “preformatted text” tool in the editor ( </> ) to add backticks around text.

See this post to find the backtick on your keyboard.
Note: Backticks (`) are not single quotes (’).

Yes sir, I’ll pay attention to that.
BTW I’ve passed it :slight_smile:
Till next time

where is the text? I don’t see any in your screenshot

I’ve passed this but unfortunately to answer your question: I don’t rememer the soution lol. I am sure I will have to redo it again. Now I am stuck at step 16 of [Learn CSS Colors by Building a Set of Colored Markers] but I will find solution :slight_smile:

Bro!
look at my survey form,take a good laugh,and keep up :sweat_smile:
im same as you,stuck in this transition,but i keep diging,also feel bad looking at those cool projects people do :) but i go some lessons few times,and then implement them in to practice,and step by step,im starting to remmember elements and stuff to do.
Keep up!
https://codepen.io/AndrewGal/pen/XWeBwEZ?editors=1100

1 Like

Haha, thanks man! Yours look much better! I guess I have to be fool before becoming a master.

Now I am stuck this:

<div class="marker">
      </div>
      <div class="marker">
      </div>
      <div class="marker">
      </div>

The task is: First, add the class one to the first marker div element.
I’ve tried adding

<div class="marker" class="one">
      </div>
      <div class="marker">
      </div>
      <div class="marker">
      </div>

or using

.marker {
class: one;
}

This also doesn’t work:

<div class="marker">
        <div class="one"></div>
      </div>
      <div class="marker">
      </div>
      <div class="marker">
      </div>

But I guess I have no idea what I am doing lol
Any advice on this one?

if i remember right,you just have to remove the “marker” class and name it “one”.

Then it shows:

<div class="one">
      </div>
      <div class="marker">
      </div>
      <div class="marker">
      </div>

“Your first marker div should have the classes marker and one .”

Edit: got it!

<div class="marker one">
</div>
3 Likes

Hallo @Spychu1993 ,
I have a similar experience: I covered the challenges, but got difficulties to apply the lessons for the first project. After reading about the more project-oriented beta curriculum in the blog, I decided to start with it last week and got stuck at step 55, too. :wink:

The task in step 55 is to label the “Loving”-string and associate the label to the checkbox by using the same value for the “for” attribute of the label as the value for the “id”-attribute of the input element:

1. place the “Loving” string into its own label-element. Note: For me the test only passed, if there is a space between the closing tag of the input-element and the opening tag of the label-element
  2. set the value of the for-attribute in the label element to “loving”
<input id="my_id" type="checkbox"> <label for="my_id">My Checkbox</label>

Regards,
Atanas

2 Likes

Heeyyyy, so I am stuck again xD
Any Advice?

<head>
    <title>freeCodeCamp Registration Form Project</title>
    <link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="styles.css">

</head>
  <body>
  </body>

The challenge is:

Step 4

Add a title element to the head , and give your project a title of freeCodeCamp Registration Form Project . Also, nest a self-closing link element in the head element. Give it a rel attribute value of stylesheet , a type attribute value of text/css , and an href attribute value of styles.css .

I’ve added:

<title>freeCodeCamp Registration Form Project</title>
    <link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="styles.css">

and it shows: :heavy_multiplication_x: Try again. This might help:

Your link element should be a self-closing element.

The self closing element needs to end with />

3 Likes