Should I include my masters degree in my resume?

I’m 32 years old. I was learning to code since 2016,then i stopped then started recently since I wanted a career change.
I have a diverse education because I’m interested in so many things.
I did my bachelor degree in IT with a minor in Business.
I worked for six years as an IT support which i hated at the end.
during that time I got my master’s degree in psychology,I had plans to apply for HCI as my Phd. since this field really interested me but since we didn’t have this field in my country I had to apply to US universities and I’ve got rejected for 2 years.
then I’ve found out freecodecamp and the did some udemy courses. then my application for immigration to Canada got accepted and I’ve immigrated to Canada.
Recently i did a 3 month program with a college in Canada regarding software development.
Now I want to pursue a job as a programmer. I’m applying to internship and entry level positions but all i’m thinking is that:
What do they think when they see all of this unrelated education and only one certificate regarding software development.
Should i even include my master’s degree in psychology?
Will i get rejected because of being overqualified?
and it seems these internships are for 20 year old college grads.
What am i doing wrong in terms of finding a job at this age.please help me.

I would definitely include your degree. I can’t see how it would hurt you that time wasn’t spent programming either way.

I don’t know why you think you’re doing something wrong.

Yeah. Most of the interns will be younger than you. Life goes on.

Age matters a lot less the older you are as you learn not to care, spoken from a 40 year old woman who…doesn’t care.

Put your degree on your resume but don’t highlight it. Highlight your development jobs no matter how minor.

I don’t have any developer jobs. all i have is a portfolio and 6 years of my past work in IT support.

Did you code any scripts? Are you a powershell maven? Unix-CLI? Can you write a complex regular expression quickly? You may have more translatable skills than you realize.

Mostly it’d be an interesting story to tell in interviews. Nothing more, and nothing less. When I interviewed, I talked about my graduate school experience often , and I didn’t even graduate grad school. Your qualifications isn’t your degree, rather your experiences and skills.

As far as I know psychology research involves quite a bit of statistics, you must also have some translatable skill like R that could be handy.

I’ve seen older interns in their 30s and 40s, transition from IT to development actually, granted they were internal hires, but It’s not as uncommon of a path as you may think.

2 Likes

Yes I’ve worked with spss for my thesis.had to deal with lots of statistics.