What is the difference between Responsive Web Design and Responsive Web Design (beta)?

what is the difference between Responsive Web Design and Responsive Web Design (beta)?
I have start learning Responsive Web Design a lot.
But there is Responsive Web Design (beta) too.
I do not understand which of them is more relevant for studying from the description of the courses.

2 Likes

Hi @w.spodobaew !

Welcome to the forum!

The beta version is the newest version of the curriculum.
It has 15 practice projects.
Once it comes out of beta, it will become the default Responsive Design Curriculum while the current one will be considered a legacy course.

With the current curriculum, it contains a series of individual challenges to teach you html and css. Then at the end you have 5 certification projects.

With the beta curriculum, you learn HTML and CSS by building practice projects.
The 5 certification projects are still the same in this beta version.

It is up to you which curriculum you want to do. Most people prefer to go through the beta version because it gives you way more practice with the concepts and will make it easier to build the 5 certification projects.
I also think the beta version is stronger :grinning:

Both curriculums teach the same concepts. Just in different ways.

When it comes to the certificate, the practice projects or the individual challenges are optional. The only thing that counts for claiming the certificate are the 5 required certification projects.

Here are the five required projects

1. Tribute page
  2. Survey form
  3. Product landing page
  4. Technical Document page
  5. Portfolio project

Hope that clears it up!

3 Likes

Responsive web design (RWD) is a web development approach that creates dynamic changes to the appearance of a website, depending on the screen size and orientation of the device being used to view it. Responsive design relies on proportion-based grids to rearrange content and design elements.
Responsive web design (beta) is the updated and fast version of RWD. Both curriculums teach the same concepts. Just in different ways.

1 Like

@jwilkins.oboe Do you know if there will be newer versions of the other certifications as well?

Also when you say “I also think the beta version is stronger” …what exactly do you mean by that? I am just about finished the RWD certification and now I’m wondering if I should do the beta version before moving forward to the next certification.

Thank you for your time!

Yes.
You can learn more about the new curriculum in this article.

The current version has less repetition of the concepts taught and so many users tend to forget more when it comes to starting the projects.
This new version has tons of repetition through the form of building practice projects so you will retain the information better.
Also the certification projects in the new version have been spread out throughout the curriculum instead of all at the end.
For example, in the new version, you will do 4 practice projects and then complete one of the required certification projects.
The information will be fresher this way instead of learning all of the concepts at once and then having to remember it at the end for the certification projects.
You can see for yourself here

I would say start the projects and if you feel really stuck on certain subjects then review them with the new curriculum.
For example, if you are working on the survey form and having alot of trouble remembering the form lessons, then you can do the survey form practice project.

If you really want to do the whole curriculum then you can but I would just review what you need to.

Hope that helps!

3 Likes

Thank you for the response @jwilkins.oboe ! I will read up on that and get a better idea.

YES! I love that, I am a firm believer in repetition when learning, it works for me at least and that makes me excited!

1 Like

I am recommending html/css courses to a friend who is just starting out. @jwilkins.oboe do you feel that the Beta version is stable enough that they won’t get frustrated with bugs? They are on a Mac if that matters.

yes, it is pretty stable

1 Like

Thank you! And thanks for all your work on the forum.

1 Like

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

But when I saw the beta of a new course, I felt motivated enough to restart. And I’m hoping I’ll succeed this time!