Where do you guys host your projects?

I have some github repos at the moment but it would be nice to have my projects live on the web. Money is tight but I will buy server space if there’s no alternative. I only need it for the files because mlab gives you a free database.

Anyone know a food free option for the files and (sub)domain?

Check out Netlify, it pretty neat.

3 Likes

@SeanDez I use GitLab Pages for my projects. Are you referring to static sites or server-rendered apps?

I guess, some static sites since React compiles down to HTML/CSS/JS.

I do have repos for an API backend too though. I think that still counts as server rendering?

Usually I have to spend a few hours getting something working, this worked immediately! So impressed :slight_smile:

Yep, Netlify is sweet, glad you like it.

1 Like

I use surge.sh for front end stuff, and deploy to heroku for backend stuff.

2 Likes

Netlify is pretty amazing and super easy to use. I created a video detailing exactly how to deploy to Netlify: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jvp8j6zrFHE

2 Likes

I use Firebase hosting (single line deploy :smiley: ), you don’t have to use the Firebase APIs as your backend, but if you do want to add a backend later you might need to go elsewhere, or go with the firebase API’s and or google cloud functions.

1 Like

I’m currently using GitHub Pages to host my website, but I want to learn how to Heroku. I’m currently learning React and know just the basics of Node.

3 Likes

Since you already have a lot of github repos why not use github pages? try it man, build your portfolio and use githubpages. Just enter your username like username.github.io for the name of the site

1 Like

That’s where I have my portfolio site posted.

just wanna say that freecodecamp thank u for connecting the whole world while iam at my comfortble space its amazing.happy coding this news festive season.

2 Likes

As long as you don’t mind your code being public, then use GitHub. If you are serious about coding though, you are going to need your own host. I have been using hosts since the 90’s, and have finally found one that I have had 0 issues with. Yes, I have used all the major name brand hosts and have had many issues with each. The one that I use is SiteGround. I trust them completely and there customer service is the best I have ever had, which I think is the most important thing with a host.

1 Like