Worried about memory

So I just finished the first part of Responsive Web Design, which was HTML. For the most part I understand and I took a few notes… but am I supposed to remember all of that stuff because I’m going to forget a lot of this stuff here and there… this is a lot of information to take in… How do you guys deal with that?

1 Like

Well… slowly over time as you use the syntax and concepts and work on stuff, you will start to to retain things that you use a lot long term. The repetition of using certain tags, and properties over and over again will commit them to your memory.

That’s why I suggest coming up with your own projects to do, no matter how small they might seem, it’s practice. Even if you just work on it a little each day.

The stuff you don’t use as often, you can look up as needed. There’s tons of web resources, right? And that stuff will make more sense because you’ve already seen it before, so it’s easier than learning it the first time through. You’ll pick it up much faster.
So it’s not a waste. That is, unless you never do anything web design related ever again. :smiley:

Like anything else, it’s a learning curve and takes time. That old adage “use it or lose it comes to mind.”

7 Likes

So much this.

Realistically, there is way too much information to be able to memorise it all. As you use concepts, you’ll find that the ones you use the most “stick” and the rest need to be looked up.

Becoming familiar with reading documentation and searching for how to use methods is an essential skill to have, and one you’ll use daily.

8 Likes

Don’t try to REMEMBER everything. What you need is:

• to understand how something works in theory and by practicing it,
  • be good at understanding what you need for the code to work or what is the issue and then to effectively google the answers, understand how to search for information,
  • once you find an answer - understand the code before you use it in your project. Don’t just copy-paste things that someone else wrote.

Also I recommend creating 2 things:

• study log - so you can always see things that you learned already in case you need to look them up again but you forgot what was it called exactly or what was the article/ video etc.
  • well organized favorites folder in your browser - where you can also easily find all sorts of info quickly in case you forget. For example I have sub-folder for general study resources (like MDN), a sub-folder for HTML/CSS THEORY with smaller, most useful articles, references, methodologies etc, and a HTML/CSS TOOLS folder with validators, frameworks, resets etc.
  • optionally have a YT frontend playlist dedicated to the most useful tutorials so, AGAIN, you can easily look things up if you forget.
9 Likes

Thanks so much… those were some good ideas. Also thanks to everyone else for sharing your experiences and the information. Sounds like a plan… I’m back at it tonight for a few hours. Time for CSS

3 Likes

@BurningQuestion

Great list of things to do and stay organized!

@Blaine88

Another thing that helps me a lot, and a lot of developers, IT, and office workers do, is have a multiple monitor setup.

I have a desktop PC with a video card that supports this. My setup is dual monitors.

The window with code and stuff I’m working on, I put on the main screen.

I keep another browser window open on the secondary monitor with multiple tabs open with reference material.

Makes my workflow so much easier. I just have to glance over at the other screen to reference info that I need as I’m working out what I’m doing.

Basic standard LCD monitors (not those fancy 120Hz refresh, 4K resolution or curved screen ones) are fairly inexpensive.

If you plan to do a lot of coding or studying, it’s totally worth the investment if you have the budget, in my opinion.

I find trying to code or do any intensive work on a phone or tablet way too restrictive for me interms of screen real estate.

I guess I’m old school though, so probably kind of biased in that regard.

Multiple or dual monitor setup may not be practical or possible for those who use a mobile device, or a laptop with no video output port.

Although some laptops can use a USB-to-HDMI or USB-to-DisplayPort (monitor connection types) adapter, if the USB port is not a “data only” port.

2 Likes

Yea I bought another monitor from the salvation army that was listed at 12.00 and the guy sold it to me for 2.00 lol… So I’m familiar with the dual setup and agree it makes things a whole lot easier when it comes to work flow.

1 Like

Do your eyes a favor and if your screen isn’t matte then buy a matte screen cover for it. Also, since you’ll be looking at screens a lot, remember to lower the brightness and have a night light turned on AT LEAST 4 hours before going to sleep to not disturb production of melatonin in your brain.
And everyone nowadays, kids included, should invest in anti-glare computer glasses. Seriously.

4 Likes

No one can remember all this stuff. Learn the basics, learn what is possible, and then get really good at googling the details.

Don’t worry about it so much. You will forget things. You can look them up.

4 Likes

You’re giving some great advise. :nerd_face:

1 Like

@Blaine88

Never memorize something that you can look up. - Albert Einstein

As other have been mentioned that you don’t need to memorize every thing.
There are many great websites like freecodecamp to look up what you don’t remember.
I have learnt HTML/CSS, JS and its libraries (jQuery, React, Redux, D3), basic of Python, basic of C++ and basic of node.js. But I don’t remember every keywords and their usage that I learned. So, as @BurningQuestion said I had made a folder for every language’s doc that I would like to review. So that I can easily go there and review. And honestly when I do HTML/CSS/JS projects the most visited sites are freecodecamp, w3school and MDN :grin: .

1 Like

Hi,

I sympathize. I’m still looking up things and I’ve been at it for years now.

You need to remember the terminology. The buzzwords. What they mean can be looked up. But you cannot look up info about a topic if you don’t know the terminology to ask the appropriate question.

I personally do the following, I doubt that’s the quickest or even the best method but I cannot resist it. I make my own overview of the material : buzzword, explanation, example. At first I use it a lot because I can find answers quickly, I wrote it myself. Doing that also creates a skeleton memory of the material. It’s a lot of work though. But for responsive design the examples are exercises in their own right. It also confronts me with stuff I do not understand. If you have to explain it to yourself and apply it you look at the explanations in detail and really figure it out.

I DO NOT try to remember what I wrote in the overview. Tried for a while, it’s too boring. I simply work with it for a while and then I discard it. It had its use and I go on using cheat sheets, stack overflow, the FCC forum… I know all the terminology so I can ask a question that’s going to get me the answer I need. That’s what sticks, the terminology, the rest remains fuzzy and can be looked up.

Greets,
Karin

2 Likes

Thanks everyone… I took a few days off but I’m back at it. I really appreciate all the advice.

you don’t need to remember every thing. just understand the concept and when you want to apply that just google and find. you will get familiar those syntaxes. Happy coding!

2 Likes

Greeting
As far as I can see the most important thing is to understand the code. Understand the basics and what is where. Today, the library and information are available in an instant. You can always look at what you don’t remember. The others wrote the same in the comments. (The consolation is that most of us have the same worries :slight_smile:

When I opened the first lesson, what bothered me the most was how to remember it all. As the lessons go by, I see that the most important thing is understanding.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 182 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.