Is this a stupid portfolio?

hi,

i am almost done with my portfolio.

i just had a few questions, please if you answer them i will do the same for your project.

https://jesses-portfolio.herokuapp.com/

1. is the parallax screen cool or cheesy?

2. what would you do to make it better?

3. should the user be able to scroll back to the beginning or should it end at the last slide?

4. should the user be able to play duck hunt at the end?

5. do you like the menu bar at the bottom?

6. is the portfolio section impressive or does it need better projects?

7. is the input validation experience adequate, annoying, or inadequate?

8. overall thoughts and ideas?

if it is dumb then i will throw together a static site instead.

thanks!

9 Likes

It looks really good but runs slow, at least on my system and my connection averages at 58Mbps

It was so beautiful that my creative soul and confidence was crushed…

I’m kidding of course. This looks phenomenal! It’s definitely a far cry from your average newbie developer portfolio site.

3 Likes

It looks awesome except it’s kinda slow, and Lighthouse gives a very low score on performance (since it’s slow). Great job! :tada:
By the way, does the contact form actually do anything?

Hi thanks, yeah haha, the contact form sends the user an email saying thanks for the visit and that I will be in touch.

I forgot to look at source maps, so didn’t know. thanks.

Okay, so I fixed the “feeling slow” thing, it was from not destroying the animation when the component was unmounted.

Lighthouse still gives it 39 on performance. Ill check it out though!

You need to rerun Lighthouse. Over here: https://web.dev/measure
I’ll do it this time.

Okay, so I fixed the “feeling slow” thing, it was from not destroying the animation when the component was unmounted.

Remember, that’s what happens when you create a memory leak.

Actually the “slow” thing is not animations though.

Look at this:

It is definitely interesting!

So first thoughts - I thought the fade in was a little too slow. Then I was waiting for it to automatically slide through the slides, then I finally noticed the navbar and then I noticed the arrows. Maybe put the arrows next to the text more so it is obvious. Also the snow effect, might be a bit too much, the picture itself is gorgeous!

I also noticed it was a bit slow, it had to load between every slide.

As for your projects, even if there are only a few, as long as they are polish I think it would be fine.

Overall, it was interesting and eye-catching. If you could speed up the parallax somehow it would be awesome!

So I think I figured it out. Its the semantic-ui CSS library and font awesome icons. I’m only using like 5 icons and a dozen components from semantic. If I only import the ones I am using it will fix all three of those performance issues.

Thanks for the help so far!

It looks like you use React, so for font awesome look here: https://github.com/FortAwesome/react-fontawesome

If you use something else, just google it and there’ll be a library to do that :slight_smile:
Make sure to just import the stuff you need.

Stupid???
How can you say that!?!?
That’s the most impressive portfolio I’ve seen this month!
I’d just suggest you make the tree background fade in a bit faster.

Keep up the awesome coding!
:wink:

2 Likes

That was beautiful… I hope to get to this level someday

1 Like

It looks amazing! The usability on mobile is not the best, as you have to click in the arrows which are a little too high to reach on a smartphone. Maybe you could lower the buttons or find a way to allow users to swipe instead of clicking :slight_smile:

I really like it - great work. I personally like the snow effect :smiley: :snowflake:

2 Likes

It looks great to me. One thing I continuously found a bit frustrating was that the arrows were all the way at the top of my screen (mobile). I’ve got a larger phone, so it was pretty uncomfortable going through it. I think if you add swipe controls, that would seal the deal for me.

1 Like
  1. is the parallax screen cool or cheesy?
    It was nice and impressive.
  2. what would you do to make it better?
    It was slow on some pages. Perhaps lowering the rez on your icons. No one is viewing this on a 25’ screen. Or don’t, it is only annoying when viewing with low bandwidth.
  3. should the user be able to scroll back to the beginning or should it end at the last slide?
    The roll around was not confusing to me at all.
  4. should the user be able to play duck hunt at the end?
    No
  5. do you like the menu bar at the bottom?
    Perhaps drop a chevron down or add a highlight on each item to show where you are on the menu bar for wayfinding? You can access the pages without the menu so it was a bit confusing.
  6. is the portfolio section impressive or does it need better projects?
    We all want better projects.
  7. is the input validation experience adequate, annoying, or inadequate?
    It was a fine gotcha. However, I am not going to give you my last name till I talk to you. I don’ have a website, which is why I am trying to contact you in the first place. Also, you are the professional here why can’t you tell me how much this is going to cost? Why is this all mandatory?
  8. overall thoughts and ideas?
    That is fantastic. I am giving you some comments as I experience your site but please understand that I found that very impressive.

Hej Jesse, your portfolio looks really impressive. Made with good style and taste. But I think that the sentence:

I think you will agree when I say that my UI/UX designs are not only beautiful, but simple, and intuitive as well.

Does not fit the overall theme. I think that the part about agreeing with you is unnecessary. Just leave it that you create beautiful and simple and intuitive UI/UX designs, because your portfolio shows that you do. Theres no room for arguing about that. At least in my oppinion.

2 Likes

Hi Kielx,

Thanks for the input. I agree with you, and it felt weird when I put that bit in there so I’m glad you said something.

I went ahead and took it out, and it does sound better now.

Thanks again!

Hi Prideth,

Thanks for filling out the questions lol!

I scaled down the three images that I am using for the portfolio screen,
they should load much faster. Ill have to check out the images, they all looked pretty tiny when I was looking at them, but I can probably still optimize some.

You are the first to provide input about the form, and I agree with your advice. I will try and adjust what is asked for and what is required.

Thanks again!